General Sailing Talk
neilmac

Post by neilmac »

I have been trying to send a PM to the administrator however the messages seem to be stuck in my out box. Can't work it out.

Anyway, Phil Carr has been locked out of the site as I think he forgot his password. Can you provide info on how he can get back in. He can't logon and there are no contact details such as phone number etc for him to fix this.

thanks Neil
Neil
Compass Rose, Elsternwick Vic
Steve

Re: Log in problems

Post by Steve »

neilmac wrote:I have been trying to send a PM to the administrator however the messages seem to be stuck in my out box. Can't work it outl
Hi Neil,
I think PM's may sit in the outbox until they are read by the recipient, You might just have to sit tight until admin gets there.
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Pms do sit there till opened. Try pm to Ian B. May see it quicker.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Sorry, I have no idea! Also no messages?
If you have problems for the moment just join up under another name.
Any computer wizzes out there want to volunteer as admin assist?
ianB
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
neilmac

Post by neilmac »

Hi Ian

While I'm no computer wiz I have worked on computers a lot so if nobody else puts up their hand I'm prepared to have a crack. Their is something weird with the PM system and it should be easy to reset passwords. Anyway happy to have a look
Neil
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

I have given Phil a new password. If he Pms me (Yara50) I will let him know what it is. (quickly before i forget! :lol:
Ian B
neilmac

Post by neilmac »

Hi Ian

Did you get my reply PM? Maybe you could call me on 0419 230 464
Neil
atles

Post by atles »

if help is needed , i am happy to help out too. :)
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

I got Neil's message, and hopefully all is well now.
Ian B
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

I sent Neil a few PMs and he returned them. That all worked. I was a CADD designer for most of my career but not very IT savvy I'm afraid, I was just the end user , how the cake was baked eluded me.

However I do regularly listen to the " Aussie Tech Heads" podcast which is consumer level tech news even I can understand. And one tip I have picked up from there and from bitter experience is to not upgrade your machine, whatever it is, with new operating systems past what it can handle. This can lead to all sorts of malfunctions in things that worked perfectly well before . Ie I have an iPad 2 mini I bought for travelling . Guy on Aussie TH warned against downloading the new operating system recommend by Cupertino ( Apple) as it turns the thing into a brick. Similarly I added extra memory to my iMac so I could upgrade to Yosemtie . It was on the lowest end of the scale to take the new system. Now instead of Yosemite I have Yosemite Sam ...an ornery bastard that is making life difficult.

With such a wide range of operating systems and versions in use on IT devices these days it's not surprising that old bulletin board programs, like this one, may start to go south. Deep south.

I am typing this on an iPad1, the original. As it won't let you upgrade past a certain version. It still functions reasonably ok for most basic stuff. Try and browse say, Gumtree with multiple jpegs loading on one page however and it drops out of the browser like bombs from a Lancaster on every page. Useless. :evil:

I note apple has a class action in the USA against it now for doing this stuff with its iPhones and almost forcing people to buy the new model to get around it.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/12/29/ios ... s-lawsuit/

The IT cognoscenti among you may have more idea on this stuff . Chime in guys even if I dont understand your answer :lol:

As I side note I would recommend Aussie Tech Heads podcast on iTunes or YouTube to anyone interested. It covers a lot of stuff but not really aimed at computer geeks just ordinary tech / consumers like me and probably you. I bung it on in the background when I'm working in the garage and stop to listen if something comes on that is relevant to me.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)