Pop-top problem

graham5494

Pop-top problem

Post by graham5494 »

Gidday all .

I continue to rebuild my Investigator using photos to help with assembly . I have a problem with the pop-top at the front end – no photo ! The four rear stays are all ok . At the front I have fitted the two slender rods at their outboard ends to the pop-top lid , I note that the lower inner ends of the stays cross in the middle . There are six drilled holes in the fibreglass on the cabin top front rim . I guess there should be a track assembly to suit , which I do not have --yet.. Could someone please explain how it is done or perhaps upload a photo . Help would be very much appreciated .

Best regards . graham 5494
BobK

Re: Pop-top problem

Post by BobK »

Graham

Here are some pics of ours. I haven't looked at any other boats to see if this is standard or not.

The lower ends of the rods are secured with what they call stay-put fasteners. Except that they don't very well.
Attachments
poptop3 (Small).jpg
poptop2 (Small).jpg
poptop1 (Small).jpg
Bob
Margarita #32
graham5494

Post by graham5494 »

Bob ,

Much appreciate quick response . Do you have to release stay ends each time the lid is dropped ?

Best regards
graham5494
BobK

Post by BobK »

Graham,

Yes the bottom ends pop off the fasteners and are held up under the front of the pop top with a clip. If you look closely on the photos you'll see a clip just behind the pop top holding down bolt..

The brackets on the cabin top that the holding down bolts clip into can be a hazard for the unwary and we've a few sore heads as a result. I have bought 3 chair rubber feet and slip them over when we raise the poptop to avoid banging our head.
Bob
Margarita #32
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Graham

That is the same on 143 so i would say its standard .I have removed my front bars as they wont fit in the fold up position with the padbolt I have holding the pop top down, but its easy to refit them for use. I find it a bit wobly when up and i think a solid bar connected to the mast would stop that , Have not looked at how I might fit one yet maybe someone else might take up the challenge.

Cheers
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
graham5494

Post by graham5494 »

Gidday All ,

The idea of securing the front end to the mast sounds good . Does anyone actually sail with the top raised ? I did not realise that the top actually had any hold down bolts , all the pics I have seen do not show any . This forum certainly helps when one is stumped for a solution !

Best regards

Graham 5494
BobK

Post by BobK »

Where are you Graham? If you are in Brisbane you're welcome to look at mine.
Bob
Margarita #32
graham5494

Post by graham5494 »

Gidday Bob

My boat is based in Clontarf near Redcliffe . However your photo's and explanation have made the problem totally clear to me ! Much appreciated !

Best regards

Graham
BobK

Post by BobK »

Graham,

Was it you that we talked to off Green Island a few months ago?
Bob
Margarita #32
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi all:

I'm about to redrill my bracket arm fittings back onto my pop top.

However, the previous owner did such a good job of removing these many years ago, and filling and painting all the mount holes, that it's now impossible to see where these holes should be redrilled.

I can guess where they should go, but I'm wondering how exact these need to be. Is there room for a bit of leeway with the placement of these holes?

Many thanks,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia