sailing to Lady Musgrave Island from 1770

General Sailing Talk
RobertB

sailing to Lady Musgrave Island from 1770

Post by RobertB »

Hi Folks,

I am planning a trip to Lady Musgrave Island from the town of 1770. It has a bar that I will have to cross. Then its a 32 N/mile sail to Lady Musgrave.
I will have a friend along who has some sailing experience.
If I average 3.2 knots it will take 10 hours. Hopefully with a steady SE tradewind we might get a higher average.
The intention is to enter the lagoon and stay a night or two. Snorkel about on the reef and walk the island.
I have had a post up in Trailersailerplace and recieved some stern warnings and helpful advice.
I'll let you all know how it goes.

Cheers, Robert
Yara50

Re: sailing to Lady Musgrave Island from 1770

Post by Yara50 »

Good luck Robert! Don't forget that you will need full offshore safety gear, like EPIRB, lifebuoy with floating light, extra food and water, etc. IMHO the Investigator 563 is a good sea boat, except maybe for the cockpit drains, which are a tad small. Secure fastenings for the hatches and companionway slides is also important.
Have you got a good steering compass? I like the grid type, easy to read and steer by.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi Ian,

Just bought the new EPIRB and registered it this week.
Ships compass, hand held bearing compass and GPS.
Lifebouy with floating, water activated light and whistle (um, not water activated ;) )
Lifeline and lanyard. Self-inflating lifevest.
27 Meg and VHF radio.
Chart for the area plus 'Curtis Coast' book by Noel Patrick.

Will take enough water and food for a week. Though the day cruise boats come out everyday, even in 35 knot winds.

The weather window is looking good.

Cheers, Robert
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Go for it Robert :)

I love stories on microcruising. Read many and when you look at the stuff the yanks do in 12 ft microcruisers Im sure the 563 is up to the task particularly for an experienced Investigator man like yourself. I support Ian's good advice on hatches and companionway slides , my only gripe about the 563.

Cockpit drains are also a worry but as long as your not draining the cockpit into the cabin while waiting for it to go out the drain holes you should be right. Having been spoilt by enclosed waters on LM I doubt I will ever feel confident enough for open water sailing but I salute your spirit of adventure and look forward to seeing your pics or another great you tube production :mrgreen:

Tune In to Channel Palimida ;)
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)