Topping Lifts

Sherlock

Topping Lifts

Post by Sherlock »

I was disappointed when I couldn't find the old site, I'm so rapt that there's still a dedicated Investigator site, thanks to Ian B. Well done mate, or maybe we should call you 'Skipper' on this site.

We've only been Investigators for about 2 and a half for a years, she didn't have a number when we bought her and the previous 2 owners have no idea what her sail number was. She was named Sherlock and I believe there are at least 2 other Sherlocks, so we changed her name to Eve. We had a great summer sailing her around Pittwater in 07-08. She's been sitting idle for the past year while we renovated a house in Sydney, sold up and now putting finishing touches to the new house on the old Coast, and am ready to start exploring Broadwater and Moreton Bay. Been getting some good input from the local TS types about sailing this parish on the TS Owners site and am pleased to see Brisi' Investigators represented on this site, we'll no doubt meet on the ramp one day. Spent all yesterday scrubbing the mould out of the cabin. Next I have to finish the topping lift I started making a year ago.
On that topic. has anyone else made a topping lift, did you find it useful and where did you place the top puley in the mast?
BobK

Re: Well done Ian

Post by BobK »

Hi Ian,

Found a couple of pics that show the arrangement on our boat.
Attachments
Margarita 002a (Small).jpg
Margarita 011b (Small).jpg
Black is topping lift, blue main halyard
Black is topping lift, blue main halyard
Bob
Margarita #32
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Welcome,

Yes, well done Ian.

My topping lift goes to the mast head. I have a small block at the rear of the mast head that I run it through.

Hope to see you on the water.

Cheers, Robert B
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Welcome Sherlock

I have a small block on the starb'd side at the mast head. Actually for the spinnaker but Ive reversed it and run the back rope down to the boom to use as a topping lift. As you are unlikely to use a spinnaker while reefed this is a simple way of doing double duty on one rope.

I terminate this at the mast base for simplicity and as its not needing adjustment other than during reefing its not much of a problem, even single handing. A handy thing to have though. Originally the boom just clipped to the backstay when at anchor and still do, but a TL takes a lot of strain off the backstay by supporting the weight when the boom is flopping about in rough weather.

Cheers
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Yara50

Re: Topping Lifts

Post by Yara50 »

Here is a pic of the topping lift block on Yara. The wire is 7 x 7 flexible lightweight, attached to a 4mm rope which cleats at the mast base, aft side. I stand in the cabin to adjust.
Topping lift pulley
Topping lift pulley
Image004 (WinCE).jpg (16.48 KiB) Viewed 3810 times
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara