Can a 2ltr VW Transporter tow a i563 ?

General Sailing Talk
Phil

Can a 2ltr VW Transporter tow a i563 ?

Post by Phil »

Thinking of buying a i563. Wondering if I'll have to upgrade my 4cyl. 2 ltr. Transporter to pull the thing. I currently tow a TS that weighs in at around 800 kg no problem. Trying to work out weather I can afford to buy a boat AND upgrade a vehicle . Any advise would be appreciated. Also would actually like to see one ( 563 ) I live in Melbourne. PHIL. 0430059779.
PHIL CARR
SOLITAIRE # 004
SANDRINGHAM VIC.
Yara50

Re: Can a 2ltr VW Transporter tow a i563 ?

Post by Yara50 »

Phil, you would need to check the rated towing capacity of your vehicle, including the rating of the towbar itself. Not proven by weighbridge, but estimated weight of a loaded trailer is around 1200 kg. This is the dilemma of T/S owners. Do you want to drive a big vehicle for your everyday commute? I keep my Subaru Liberty for towing the boat and long trips, and 90% of my driving is using my little Daihatsu Sirion, which is easy to park and cheap to run.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Phil

Post by Phil »

Thanks Ian, the manual says total 2000kg so should be OK....on the flat at least...she struggles a bit on the hills . 1200kg sounds manageable though.
PHIL CARR
SOLITAIRE # 004
SANDRINGHAM VIC.
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Phil, I had almost forgotten this but below is a link to TSP discussion on ball weight with links within (actually cut and paste luckily) from the old 563 MSN site
http://www.trailersailerplace.com.au/ph ... f=2&t=3761
In it we discuss towing issues. Easier to post the link that me hand pick bits and pieces . Ignore the title although as you will see, it is relevant.

Welcome by the way . as an old Kombi owner I understand why you would want to keep it ;)
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Phil

Post by Phil »

Thanks Ozzie for the welcome and the link. I'll check it out. Great to have this group .It saves having to invent the wheel each time an issue comes up, Cheers PHIL.
PHIL CARR
SOLITAIRE # 004
SANDRINGHAM VIC.
neilmac

Post by neilmac »

Hi Phil
I'm in Elsternwick and have an Investigator. Call me on 0419 230 464 if you want to check it out. I have a Nissan Xtrail 2.4L and have had no dramas in towing albeit at 80k on the Highways.
Neil
Compass Rose, Elsternwick Vic
Phil

Post by Phil »

Thanks Neil . Tried your number but can't get through. Is it correct ? PHIL.
PHIL CARR
SOLITAIRE # 004
SANDRINGHAM VIC.