Whale Watching

General Sailing Talk
BobK

Whale Watching

Post by BobK »

Just back from Whale Watching in Hervey Bay (Wathumba Creek). Caught up with Gunter in Tosca. Had a great time and will be back next year barring other commitments.

Some pics on Flikr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/43163331@N ... 976460070/
Bob
Margarita #32
RobertB

Re: Whale Watching

Post by RobertB »

Hi Bob,

Good on you mate. I envy you.
We ended up going bush and bird watching. Nice, but not as exciting as your trip.

Cheers, Robert
solo

Post by solo »

I have been back from Hervey bay for about 2 weeks now and as Bob already said we meet up there.
Sorry to say that I had to leave the day after the trailersailer fleet arrived there.I think they where 8 boats. They where going to come 4-5 days earlier but had to wait for the wind to ease. My cruise from Tin Can Bay north lasted full 4weeks and I had a great time, plenty of whales around and many real close up. Before the school holydays I was the only boat in Wathumba Creek some of the time, not counting 2 live aboard Catamarans about 1/2 a mile north.
I did meet a lot of great people there, in large boats, trailer sailors and even stink boat, caught some nice fish to supplement my diat. But after 3 weeks away from the shops I missed my fruit and vegies. But it saved money ! The weather was very good.20 minutes of rain but 2 dust storms. All together I sailed 276 nm on the GPS a little more on the log.
The trip back south was not as planed, the forecast was SE-E 10-15 but the first 2 h I motorsailed, then 2h N 15kots but then the wind turned NW 20+ and a strong 2-3 knot tide from the south I had very high and steep waves. I only anchored in some shelter after dark just north of Garrys anchoridge. The last 6 h I was not able to leave the rudder once and I was cold, hungry and very tired. May be I should get some crew for next year. But I will be there again !
Gunter
Calaway

Post by Calaway »

Thanks for the great photos. I'll have some to post in a weeks time. I plan on launching at Borowra Waters next week and spend a few days alone sailing.
regards Pete
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi Gunter,

Good on you mate.
I knew you were back, as I spotted 'Tosca' in all her splendour parked in her usual place as I was heading to visit the daughter and grandchild today.

Cheers, Robert
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Pete
Where exactly are you planning to launch? Berowra has some pretty tight corners on the way to the ramp. I work close to there at Hornsby. Will be around Mon/Tues.
Ian B
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Calaway

Post by Calaway »

Hi Ian,
I have never been to Barowra Waters boat ramp. Perhaps I should do a reccy first. Wednesday or Thursday would be when I launch, weather permitting.
Pete
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Pete
Unfortunately my colleague who lives on Berowra Waters road has left for the day. I will ask him tomorrow about the hairpin bends. You may be better off using the ramps at Brooklyn or Bobbin head (Appletree Bay), which we know are suitable.
I will be in Northern NSW Wed/Thur so will miss you.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
solo

Post by solo »

Hi Robert
Some time ,when you visit your grandchild again and come past my place, try to push the pedal in the middle. If it does work you can have a cup of tea as bonus
Gunter