Sailing with Careels

General Sailing Talk
RobertB

Sailing with Careels

Post by RobertB »

Hi Folks,

I joined the friendly Careel Association today and had a great sail from Shornecliffe, out round the Otter Rocks and then into the beach at Clontarf for a spot of sustainence.
Then a freindly race back round the way we came.
I am pleased to say that even thought I started on the outside of the fleet and had to pinch somewhat to make it round the first marker, only one other Careel made it round the same mark on the first tack and they started on the windard side of the line. All the rest had to tack. But not me.
I then had to reel in the Careel that was out in front and passed her just before the third marker, but she slipped up my inside and crossed the line before me.
Still, second place was good enough for me.

Cheers, Robert
Yara50

Re: Sailing with Careels

Post by Yara50 »

That's pretty good Robert! Especially when you consider that if the Careel ahead of you was a Mk 1, it would have been at least a couple of hundred kg lighter than your boat.

I think that in light airs the Careel will outperform the Investigator 563, but in heavier weather, with a bit of a chop, the finer entry and heavier weight of the Investigator 563 will give it the advantage.

"finer entry"- sharper, narrower bow cross section.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
BobK

Post by BobK »

You obviously got your trailer serviceable again.

Another time we'll have to have grudge race with Investigators vs. Careels?
Bob
Margarita #32
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Grudge Bob? Na, we have bigger keels! When I was a Careel owner, my handle was "Keelenvy". No more, now that I have a 300+ kg one!
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi,

Well, it is time to admit that the Careel I was chasing had more than one crew aboard. Let me see...hmmm 1 child, 1 teenager and 3 adults....or was it 2. Either way, I should have mentioned that.

Yes, the trailer is fixed and operational.
Yes, Ian, the Careels did pull away from us (Bob, Gunter and I) that first time we joined the Careels in very lite conditions.

Bob, we will have to join them another time.

Will you be going down to the Clarence river challenge?

Cheers, Robert
paultrotter

Post by paultrotter »

Hey Rob,

I was the guy with all the crew that you almost passed and I finally have made it on to your forum. I am a moderator on Careel.com and enjoy the writtings on these sites!

I here only one Investigator is showing up to the Clarence River Classic from NSW. We have four Careel 18s going from Queensland. You better get your acts together and join us!
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi Paul,

The best laid plans etc
I had the trailer all repaired and ready to go!
Then can the commission with the first sketches to be ready by Monday.
Then Heather lost her job on Friday. Not the time to be shooting through to go sailing. Time to stay home and support, and do a bit of writing around the edges.

So, got stuck into the music this morning and was able to send away 3 pieces. Have been with Heather the rest of the time.

Sorry i didn't make it this year.

Cheers, Robert
paultrotter

Post by paultrotter »

No problem Robert,

If you read my post on Careel.com you will see that we had a less than perfect trip. My trailer had a wheel bearing disintegrate and it didn't get further than the Tweed. This delayed my mate Cookie in his boat so we didn't race! We had three Careel 18s racing and hope for a big turn out next year!

Will the investigators be joining the Careel 18 State Titles on Lake Samsonvale on 1st November? Why don't you turn up in a big group at the lake and hold your own titles and join our race? We could put the handicapper to work and go for a mixed fleet? You all would be more than welcome and if you are interested I'll fill you in on the details. We hold two races on a Sunday at the club in a nearly full lake!

This year I expect to get the following Careel 18s participating

Bundy Flyer - current cup holder
Kimbee - previous cup holder
Tirra - Local lake boat that is fast
Therapy - David Dowling will be the man to beat this year
Wyuna - Thats me and I'm fast with a new shaped keel.
Ivana - David Cook loves racing and will throw everything at us
Restless - Paul Dwyer wants to get faster
El nino - The Dobinsons need the practice
Little M - a lake boat that is sailed by two kat experts
Sweat Virginia Breeze - Ken Palmer now has the taste of speed

So it will be a big fleet and I think some Investigators would make it even more exciting.....so how about it?