Hatch window

Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Hatch window

Post by Ozzie »

This week I replaced my front hatch window. They all need doing as they are 34 years old and have had the sword long ago . The front one got in early as it cracked some time ago when I bumped it with my knee and had been temp replaced with a piece of ply for some time. My windows are tinted perspex with stainless self tapers and though I admired Petes work I decided at least for the front hatch to replace as per the original setup except use Sika Pro instead of Silicon. Luckily the original came home with enough integrity to use as a template.

I already have enough perspex for the whole job I got for nothing from a mate who had used it on screen doors to stop damage to the lower sections at his office . It had been undercover and relatively unmarked so never look a gift GG in the mouth. First I cut it out using my renovator tool with the half round blade then masked up a surround to hide the glue
CAM00140.jpg
The round lines were my masking guide which I then blanked off the centre with. Then Spray using heatproof car paint I had at home as per Pete's suggestion
CAM00142.jpg
I left on the mask to keep the sika off the internals for the final inside sealing bead. I had to peg the corners with a small through stainless bolt to acheive the required bend and also put one in the bottom. Flipped the hatch and drilled from the inside with a very fine drill to define the screw points then closed the hatch and drilled just the perspex the other way with a drill just larger than the self tapers to stop cracking when they are tightened
CAM00143.jpg
Final fit after all tape removed .... not quite as neat as Pete but nice and secure. Unfortunately you can just see the sika inside as I used the same mask for paint and bead but whatthehey I was always one for function over form. Next job is to add internal bracket for my 20w WWorth solar panel. which will be slightly masked by the round corners but will be out of the weather. It will be removable to come outside when Im on the boat and is why I am not going for tinted. When I get to the side windows I intent to mask fine slat lines onto the clear perspex which I've seen done and it looks very modern.

One more job done and a pleasant afternoon communing with the pelicans. Total cost $18 for a tube of Sikeflex Pro which will be used for the rest (keep it in the fridge) and the rest I had on hand. Annual haulout next month with the rest of the windows in my sights.

Tips.... be gentle with reno tool and drills ( low speed) and perspex is not too hard to work. Make sure your holes are oversized to stop cracking ....you cant self tap px it will shatter. :shock: :shock:
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
atles

Re: Hatch window

Post by atles »

Nice job their mate !! :D the window has a curve to it
i was a bit worried when i did mine that it was going to brake
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Spritzig is a later model with two hinges on the front hatch. This version has far less curve than the original with only one hinge.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Ian you are right I did not realise there was so much difference in the two marks of 563 , till you look at them side by side
compare563b.jpg
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ozzie,
Nice job!!
My 563 had two hinges on the hatch when I bought it but it was a modified single hinge job. Unfortunately because of the curved hatch it was impossible to open the hatch any further than a few inches with the two hinges in place, I changed it back to a single hinge and it opens perfectly, It seems to always leak though, I might just glass mine up so I don't need to worry about it.
Steve
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Thanks for the kind words gents. I have fitted a new locking mechanism to the front hatch as well but dang me I keep forgetting to get photos. I've also got seals to fit as I get odd leaks from the bottom of the hatch as well but it may have to wait till the haulout .

Worst part of the leak on a mooring is it mixes with the seabird guano and leaves something of a nif inside even after it drys out ...I bit like liquid manure. :shock:

If you get the seals right I'm sure the leaks will stop.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)