Handheld GPS

Dr. Peter

Handheld GPS

Post by Dr. Peter »

Any one with experience with one of these devices they would like to share?
Peter
Pip #127
Yara50

Re: Handheld GPS

Post by Yara50 »

On Yara I have a Garmin Etrex handheld, which I believe is still available, but is now at least five years old. I did have it mounted next to the companionway with Velcro, but the Velcro kept peeling off the rubber backing, and recently I bought a $6 mobile phone holder which I have adapted, and works much better.
GPS with velcro mounting.
GPS with velcro mounting.
The handheld is connected by plugged cable to my DSC VHF radio, which then allows the radio to provide our position in an emergency, or for DSC calls. To be honest, we have not used the VHF, but I guess it is there as a backup.

The best benefit of the handheld is the readout of speed over the ground, and compass course. Certainly is the cheapest kind of log around these days. The compass direction is more useful for checking the angle of a tack, but can also be used as a steering compass.

The handheld has also been useful when travelling in foreign countries, as I have plugged in the location of my hotels, so that when walking around in the city, I can always find my way back to the hotel.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Sorry for taking so long to reply I have been busy on other tasks. I have Googled Etrex and I am wondering which model you have.
Peter
Pip #127
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

It was called the Etrex Map, I bought it from the US loaded with the Australian map, but the map itself is not much good. It is however useful in that you can plot tracks, so it gives you an idea of where you have been. For marine use as a chart plotter, the smartphone/pad apps are good and cheap too. Only hard to see in strong sunlight.
useful when travelling in foreign countries
- If you go to the other side of the World, e.g. Finland, it takes about 20 minutes for the first fix, but then it is back to normal.
Ian B
Mark

Post by Mark »

for what it is worth I use a Garmin 72H mounted in same position as in picture on this post, it is connected also to my DSC enabled VHF radio. Found it to be very reliable and value for money

Best Mark
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

I'm thinking about getting the Garmin 78sc handheld GPS, with a mounting bracket. I'ts got just about everything including sea charts and floats. Wondering has anyone tried one of these units or what to recommend?
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Andrew for that kind of money you can buy a 10inch pad plus navionics charts as well as a simple hand held GPS.
Ian B