Flying a Genoa Jib

Yara50

Flying a Genoa Jib

Post by Yara50 »

Finally I got out the Genoa jib and tried it out. Pittwater is very flukey and the wind can change in minutes. This try was on New year's eve, not the date on the video. Poor quality- lens fogged up, cheapie Go pro copy. The genny was originally from an 18 ft Skiff, and is light fabric. The sheets are rather thin, and the sheeting point it right aft, with no mechanical advantage. With a sail this far aft, naturally a bit of weather helm is created. Lifting the C/B back a little did help. Great to move at 3 to 4 knots in a wind that normally would have us drifting around at 1 to 2 knots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQCpmXr0OGQ
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Yara50

Re: Flying a Genoa Jib

Post by Yara50 »

For the record, the foot of our genoa jib is 4m long. Luff is regular size. The downhaul works fine, easy to change from one jib to the other. On the day we took the video, the wind increased to 15+ knots so we changed down to the regular jib and were flying along at 4 to 5 knots on the return trip.

The sheeting points were originally an eye on the cockpit coaming and a clam cleat. On the starboard side I had to remove them to fit the autopilot. I have now shackled a turning block onto the toe rail, and re-installed the clam cleat at the correct angle. Toe rail (aluminium) was just screwed into the fibreglass, and I have changed to through-bolts at the load point. Sheet now goes under the autopilot when in the stowed position.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Flying a Genoa Jib

Post by Andrew »

G'day Ian, Thanks for the u-tube videos, they add an extra dimension to learning about new things on the i563

Your new genoa really gets light wind hull speed up. Discovered that Teria came with a wire luff lightweight drifter genoa (i thought it was conventional spinnaker at first) . It hoists with the kite halyard, hope to experiment with it soon.

cheers
Andrew
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria