Investigator 563 sail dimensions

Yara50

Investigator 563 sail dimensions

Post by Yara50 »

Here are the official sail measurements. As not much racing is done these days, they are not critical.
Investigator Sail Dimensions.pdf
(77.02 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
peter yates

Re: Investigator 563 sail dimensions

Post by peter yates »

Hi Ian,
Am looking to buy a storm jib and a bit confused about dimensions.

The Association dimension (about 4.2 sq m) seems to be about two thirds the area of the working jib, which seems too big to me if you are thinking 30 knots or so of wind and wanting to haul down the furler jib for something noticeably smaller.

Rolly Tasker Sails do a range of storm jibs and their recommendation is for one which is 1.8 sq.m which sounds more like it to me. If you look at their web-site and consider their storm jib which roughly is nearest in size to the Investigator Assoc. dimensions, Taskers suggest that one is suited to a boat of 24 to 26 feet! Again, that sounds right to me, but is totally different to what you are suggesting and the Association size.

I am inclined to go for the Tasker one which measures about 3m luff, 2.4m leach and 1.5m foot as that is what Taskers recommend and also what I recall is about the size I have furled my jib down to when caught out. But as I say, that comes up at less than half the area of the Association dimensions.

Hope you can help.

Peter
I563 number 004 - "Tricksy"
CAL14 - "Gypsy"
"Myf" the skiff
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Peter
The standard Investigator 563 jib is already pretty small, so I think the recommended size is OK. As we normally are not out in the open ocean, our definition of "storm" is not quite the same as a blue water sailor.

All I can say is that what we have works, and in an extreme case drop the jib, and motor-sail on a deep reefed main.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
peter yates

Post by peter yates »

Thanks Ian,
On a related topic, my previous Investigator had a removable mast support in the cabin, in the middle of the "arch", presumably to take any flex out of the cabin top and prevent mast "pumping". My current boat doesn't have this and I wonder if it is any use and if others have them?

Peter
I563 number 004 - "Tricksy"
CAL14 - "Gypsy"
"Myf" the skiff