Pop Top Cover

Yara50

Pop Top Cover

Post by Yara50 »

The previous owner made an extensive boat tent, which I have never rigged, as well as a pop top cover. The only time I can get to the pop top is when I am on the water, and the design of the cover had me perplexed for quite a while. Last time I was out I decided I was going to solve this one, and despite the fact that I had the bimini up, I fiddled and finally got it sorted!
Flaps on side and rope across the front to seal off.
Flaps on side and rope across the front to seal off.
It is open at the aft end, but I think a piece of fabric with velcro I have at home will close it off. I still have another piece of fabric with velcro that I have no idea where it goes!
The open aft part.  Note bimini above.
The open aft part. Note bimini above.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
no way

Re: Pop Top Cover

Post by no way »

Pic of No Way on the Myalls with pop top cover and boom awning.
The pop top cover fits completely over the lid and is clipped to the outer edge of the cabin roof. This gives a great shelf for quite large items when cruising and they'll mostly be retained by the support mechanism.
There is a zippered section for the companionway and this rolls up over the sliding hatch (see pic closely). When closed it comes down to the cockpit floor. The pieces either side of the zipper come down to the cockpit seats can be held out to the cockpit coaming like wings to give a nice cosy corner against the cabin bulkhead - you can see this on the pic also.
I can sail fine with this cover up - its just that the vang won't operate properly.
The awning has a panel which clips to the aft edge and comes down over the pushpit. I use this most nights to stop dew settling on everything in the cockpit. For wet weather I have lightweight side curtains which clip to the side edges of the awning and down the edge of the rear cover. These are to stop wind blown rain and big splashes which come off the awning and hitting the side deck if the boat rolls.
Attachments
P1010214A.jpg
Dr. Peter

Re: Pop Top Cover

Post by Dr. Peter »

I use a bit of heavy duty plastic tarp over the boom. The corners and sides have a mixture of pre-measured string and small ocky straps to attach it. Folds up easily and stores in the lazarrette. It works with the pop-top up or down. Having said that I do like the look of the boat above - almost looks permanent.
Peter
Pip #127