Motor size?

General Sailing Talk
CALDI4

Motor size?

Post by CALDI4 »

Hi all, well it is almost time to buy an O/B motor for '111' so what size would is best suited to the Investigator? Long or short shaft? Any other recommendations?

Cheers

Cal
Investigator 111 & 153
Yara50

Re: Motor size?

Post by Yara50 »

Cal
5 hp is more than enough, and was the "standard" size originally. A long shaft is essential, otherwise the prop comes out of the water when someone goes forward.

If possible, also get what they call a "sailor" propeller, or "high thrust", which is basically a larger prop with a more shallow pitch. This allows the motor to rev at the right revs for maximum power, when traveling at the typical 5 knots of our boats.

I wont get into the two stroke vs 4 stroke argument, other than to say a 4 stroke can give you a hernia, and the pollution from a 2 stroke for the number of hours we use, is negligible.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
CALDI4

Post by CALDI4 »

Cheers Ian B

Cal
peter yates

Post by peter yates »

Hi Cal,
My first post so you should feel honoured!

I have an 8hp Yamaha long shaft which is really good and produces 6 knots flat out or an easy 4-5 knots. I'm sure 4hp would do but the extra helps if there is some wind or wave action.

Cheers,

Peter
I563 number 004 - "Tricksy"
CAL14 - "Gypsy"
"Myf" the skiff
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Peter
Welcome to our board! Now that you have broken the ice, why not tell us about yourself and your boat? Boat name, sail number? Where do you sail?
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
peter yates

Post by peter yates »

Thanks Ian,
I live in Woodend Victoria, which is about as far from the sea as I can stand being! It is also one of the coldest non-alpine towns in VIC (we had a minus 5 last week!) and I have photos of my boat covered in snow.
My current boat is called "Private Eye" and it is my 10th sailing boat and my second Investigator. It carries sail number 108 but not sure if that is original. Of all my boats, the Investigator is the best all-rounder and is very easy to live with.
My previous Investigator was "Sherlock" and went to live in Sydney about 10 years ago I think.
I didn't choose the names and I wonder how many Investigators also have corny names like these?
I don't sail very often as Port Phillip is lacking in shelter, decent ramps and destinations. Also, like a lot of retirees, I am very busy! When I do use it, I launch at "The Warmies" near Newport power station and trundle around at the top of the bay or up the Yarra to Docklands.
Our main use is an annual holiday at Paynesville where we spend a couple of weeks split between walking our 3 greyhounds and day-sailing.
My current boat is in the shed at present getting the old vinyl stripes and lettering removed ready for a polish and new signeage. Any advice on removing 30 year old vinyl appreciated! It is pretty bog-standard other than a few nice touches by the previous owner which make raising the mast very easy and a raised hard-top in place of the pop-top which I find quite a good thing. His theory was that a pop-top would let in a lot of water in a knock-down. I don't plan to sail in those conditions, but you never know and anyway it gives a bit more headroom and a strong point to stand on without spoiling the lines too much.
Glad to see there is now a forum for our great little boats. If I knew a bit more, I would add some photos. Maybe one day!

Cheers,

Peter
I563 number 004 - "Tricksy"
CAL14 - "Gypsy"
"Myf" the skiff