New owner / first trip

General Sailing Talk
Matt

New owner / first trip

Post by Matt »

Hi All - I've recently purchased my first sail boat and am very pleased to say it's an investigator!

As of about three weeks ago "Sherlock 2" has a new home - And I must say Gary (previous owner) is a real gentleman. His patient manner and thorough explanation made the experience a real delight. After taking a short trip out of Cleveland in gusty weather as part of the change over I was looking to take the family out for a nice introductory sail.
After considering the lakes on the sunshine coast and local brisbane dams - I got talking with an "old boatie" who said "give the bribie passage a go - you'll really enjoy it".
So we put in at Spinnaker Sound along with the other thousand boaties last weekend. When we got there the line for the boat ramp was out onto the street.... Ohh no :| - But by the time i'd rigged Sherlock 2 the ramp was clear and the launch was perfect.
The day was lovely, the only let down was that the wind was in hiding. After travelling up the passage we had lunch and started our return. By this stage the tide was coming in and with little wind coming straight up the passage we motored some of the way back.
If anyone could suggest a similar experience - That would be great. (Photos attached)
Cheers Matt :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_0834.jpg
IMG_0833.jpg
IMG_0830.jpg
geoffr

Re: New owner / first trip

Post by geoffr »

Hi Matt!

Welcome to the club, and thanks for the story and pics. I trust your kids had a wonderful time; they certainly looked the part!

I can't suggest any other trips up your way, but can offer plenty of advice if ever you are down south.

Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi Matt,

That is good. Good to see that you and Sherlock have come together. Happy to read about your sail too.
I am sorely missing my little boat. But there is no sailing here in Tanjung Malim, Malaysia.

Cheers, Robert
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Good to hear from you Robert. Hope things are going well for you in Malaysia. That Malacca Straight coastline doesnt look like T/S country, not many bays and sheltered waterways. Pirates? Maybe you can buy another Investigator when you eventually return to Aus.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara