What have you done with the space under the V Berth?

Dr. Peter

Re: What have you done with the space under the V Berth?

Post by Dr. Peter »

Yara50 wrote:Off topic, but what kind of boat guitar? I tried one of those traveller type headless electric types, but found that the balance was terrible. Ended up with a full size cheapie from Aldi.
Nothing electric about my boat guitar. Its a 3/4 size acoustic that cost about $90 from a local music store. Fits in the available space nicely.
Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Yara50

Re: What have you done with the space under the V Berth?

Post by Yara50 »

Stowage space is critical on a small Trailer/Sailer, so I decided I needed that space under at least one of the forward V bunks. However, I do not want to lose the bouyancy safety factor, so the challenge was to make a waterproof hatch.

The ply lid was screwed and siliconed down, but a bit of prying got it off. Lovely and clean inside the compartment.
Taken me a whole weekend to design and make the lid, including three trips to the boat shop.

In the end we have:
-3mm plywood hatch lid with neoprene sealing tape around the recess
- Tapered lugs on one side designed to compress the tape as I push the lid across. (Made from scrap aluminium from my old outboard bracket.)
- An expensive ($45) recessed hatch closer which compresses the other side of the lid.
The locker lid in place
The locker lid in place
The compartment is quite large, and I will use it to stow the wet weather gear and sleeping bags, both of which are bulky but light.
Attachments
IMAG0196 (Small).jpg
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara