Does size matter?

geoffr

Does size matter?

Post by geoffr »

Hi all:

Now that I've got your attention, my query is about the size of the furling drum that is supposed to be standard on Investigators.

Mine came with an English made Barton furler, which measures 95mm in diameter. However, I've noticed that the modern Ronstan equivalent is 115mm in diameter.

Does this extra size matter? Also, what diameter line do people use out there on their furlers: 3 or 4mm?

Many thanks,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Does size matter?

Post by Ozzie »

Geoff I use the standard ronstan p76 furler
[img][http://ronstan.com/images/product/RF76.jpg/img]

I have used this now for six years with just Venetian blind chord rope which I replace regularly. Though not a popular unit, I have had very little trouble with this furler. The only mod I've made is to put a SS plumbing pipe trim over the top of the nylon drum as a UV protector and paint the body with Matt black paint for the same reason.( I'm moored)

It gets annual maintenance of dismantle and marine grease . Important to have your first guide set up so that the rope enters the unit at 90 deg. One TSP poster has modded his with open body and larger wheel but this is really only needed for accommodating larger chord. I also use mine as a reefing unit in light wind to control speed ie practicing sailing onto the mooring. With the above mod however the poster said he uses his to roller reef in strong wind with good success. Just experiment in non emergency situations and see how it goes.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Thanks Ozzie:

I have rechecked the Barton website and it says the size furled drum I have should be fine for an Investigator (i.e. the 95mm diameter model is designed for a jib up to 9.29m2 or 100 ft2, with the Investigator normally carrying a jib of about 7m2).

So I'll fit it back on my boat and continue the sea-trials, under slow conditions at first, as you suggest.

I'll keep you posted how I go.

Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi Geoff
I use the same Ronstan Furler described works just fine for me. there was one on Aminee when i bought it a year ago but i replaced as the inner weell was cracked and broken. i use thin spectra ( yellow code) for the line, sorry dont know the diameter.

Regards

Mark