Mast Question.

BobK

Re: Mast Question.

Post by BobK »

Ian, I didn't know that I was so clever. I just didn't know any better! I figured that was the way everybody did it.

As Robert says, my forestay has two thimble ends. One to connect to the jib furler, and the other to haul on the forestay so that the forestay can be connected.

When raising the mast I connect a light block to the spare end on the forestay and take a line back through it to the cockpit via a shackle on the furler. This is my safety line. As I raise the mast I pull in the slack on the line, and if anything goes wrong I can cleat it off and it'll hold the mast while I sort things out. If I have an assistant I use the same method but get my offsider to take up the slack as I go. Again if there's a hiccup my offisder can take up the load and the mast wont fall back down on top of me.

I'm not really doing anything more than the previous owner did. I just thought that was the way everybody did it?.
Bob
Margarita #32
enduser

Post by enduser »

Thanks to everyone for the mast raising hints etc. We've ordered a "Mast Mate" from David after seeing the videos he has showing its usefulness.

After the order went through he was kind enough to phone us and give us a few pointers about mast raising that were very useful.

He is working on a new "Tallmate" and will have one for sale again in the near future.

While I'm here, I see a lot of the boats here have a jib furler. We don't have one and I'm wondering what people generally use. Thanks again.
Yara50

Re: Mast Question.- Jib Furler

Post by Yara50 »

We can have a whole new thread on jib furlers. Some love em some don't. IMHO if you don't have one forget about it. Yara has a jib downhaul instead.
More info on downhaul http://trailersailerplace.com.au/forum/ ... jib+furler
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

Hi all,
Ok, like in the other post just passing.
BUT I do have a question for you seasoned owners. I have had a very quick look at the mast and foot setup, came to the conclusion it is raised from the stern, so can anyone possibly answer why the frame and roller on the front of this trailer? I would have though the roller would allow it to be rolled to the point of stepping the mast into the foot, but that does not seem right with the design of the step area, appears to be pinned at the rear not the front of the foot.

On another note I have tried a little test patch on the hull with some wax, came up very well, will do a light cut and polish and then wax and I think she should come up really well, few damaged areas that have been repaired from her past, but not enough to be concerned with trying to cover up or improve. The windows have some small leaks, but they don't look to hard to get into and re-seal?

I think it will be a while yet before she sees the water, LIFE at the moment more than anything else :roll: before I know it, it will be Christmas and I am going back home this year to spend Christmas with Family I have not see in 5 yrs 8-)

The frame is great for carrying the mast but why so damn big and heavy and with a roller :?: :?: :?:
Cheers
Jay
http://www.seagypsyonline.com.au
Life is a game, take up the challenge - Go hard or Go home :twisted:
http://www.SaveOurSeasInt.org
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Jay
Most boats have a removable elevated roller over the pushpit. Slide the mast back, taking care towards the end as it tends to overbalance off the stern, then pin at the mast step. (Check that step, it is alloy, and many have corroded. Also, the bolts are tapped into the wooden insert, and not strong for uplift. If you are quick, alloy castings are still available from an elderly gent in Melbourne.)

I think that the frame is for mast raising. It lifts the line of action, and maybe the idea it to use the trailer winch strap up and over the roll, and then connected to the forestay or the jib halliard. It is important to start with the mast as high as possible, and of course to guide the mast sideways as it goes up.
Ian B
Yara50

Re: Mast Raising Question.

Post by Yara50 »

Just a point- if you have a strong agile crew, the quickest and easiest is for one to lift and push from the stern, and the other to pull on the forestay at the same time. Apart from wearing gloves, no extra equipment is needed.

Unfortunately my crew are usually a bunch of wimps or flakers, and leave me to do all the work single handed- hence the more elaborate sheerlegs and mainsheet technique.
Ian B
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Start of lift (Small).JPG
Final hold (Small).JPG
vertical mast (Small).JPG
Some pics of the mast raising technique using the main sheet pulleys and A frame sheerlegs (two jib poles and two saddles on the cabin top. The two saddles also mount small swivel blocks which lead the halliards back to the cockpit.
During the lift, the main function of holding on is to steady the mast sideways. NOTE: always hoist the mast on a flat portion of roadway!
For the final bit, a quick pull on the hoisting rope, after letting go of the mast, gets it up quickly before it has a chance to fall sideways.
Ian B
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

I remember seeing this post awhile back and wondered what was going on.

When I first bought my Investigator, no one told me that I couldn't just push up the mast by myself so that is the way I've been rigging it ever since. I don't use any pullys, cradles or winches. I just walk towards the bow, lifting the mast until it is vertical and then attach the forstay. Maybe my boat is rigged differently to others, I don't know. When I think about it, I've never seen an Investigator other than my own so it is hard to judge.
Ray
Investigator #39
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Hi Ray
There are two factors- age and mast design.
Age- some of us are oldies, and maybe not be as strong as you, plus the chance of slipping as you step up from cockpit to cabin top. As noted in this thread, if there are two people, one pushing and one pulling on the forestay, no problem.

Mast design- The standard design is a constant section mast. Some Investigator 563s were however, fitted with tapered masts, which are a lot lighter and easy to push up.
Ian B
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

Ian,

I'll take that as a compliment. I'm actually a grandfather these days, and with nearly 40 years in the job, am looking forward to retirement in the very near future. I'm pretty sure that my mast is a straight section but it doesn't weigh much. As you pointed out, the hardest part in raising the mast is the where you need to step up from the cockpit to the cabin. I always rig on the trailer and it would be harder to raise the mast my way if the boat was on the water and rocking around.

I think that you are doing a great job keeping up the interest in these boats. As you say, most members are getting on as are our Investigators. The boats are a bit of Aussie history and deserve to be preserved.

Ray
Ray
Investigator #39