Queenscliff at Easter

General Sailing Talk
Dr. Peter

Queenscliff at Easter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Heading off from Werribee to Queenscliff this Easter.
Peter
Last edited by Dr. Peter on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Pip #127
Dr. Peter

Re: Queenscliff at Easter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Report of Trip:
Launched at Werribee Friday afternoon and went upriver for a look with friends in a Sonata 7 (they had sailed to Werribee that morning from Williamstown). The overnight weather was forecast to be ominous and was. Our friends nosed into the river bank and we pulled up to them. Alas, still not enough water under us at low tide in the morning; it was a major struggle to get off.

Saturday: we set sail for Queenscliff in about 12+ knots of wind and a small swell. We put in the first reef for ease of helm pressure and reached most of the way with the waves not holding us up at all. We followed the big ship nav markers and had a glorious sail for about five hours (we did not tack once); we left the Sonata for dead under sail. For the last half hour we motor-sailed on the headsail to stay in the channel (we did a couple of tacks). Using the big white ferry as a guide is was easy to find our way. As is usual at Queenscliff the berthing was tricky trying to balance the forces of the wind, motor and tide; it was all good in the end and we arrived without mishap. Later that night we had an excellent meal at the pub in town.

Sunday: We had planned to stay two nights at Queenscliff but decided to head back Sunday because of a poor weather outlook for Monday where 25-30 knots was forecast. After an excellent breakfast at a place at the Marina we sailed back to Werribee where our car and trailer was stored at the Caravan Park ($5/night) while our friends on the Sonata 7 headed straight back to their mooring Williamstown.

The wind was stronger going back with 15 knots + and 20 knot gusts. This time we sailed with a full main and headsail and close-reached taking the waves on the front quarter of the bow. Occasionally, we were over-powered but luffing usually sorted this out. Pip just loves upwind work and the sailing was absolutely fantastic. I'm not sure why the helm pressure was less than usual but, except for the gusts, the helm felt OK. I think the centre-plate was fully down which may have been the reason.

Our navigation was a little more rudimentary going back. We basically wanted to get the other side of the bay and then look for the Werribee South water tower (its egg-shaped) and find the channel in from there. This worked quite well and in the end, Della spotted the tower upwind from where we were and about where I estimated where it would be. We did not need our binoculars (which are a handy piece of kit in a boat without a GPS IMHO).

After screaming across the bay in about four hours the little bit of remaining windward work was painful. It was very breezy and the waves were closely spaced and steep. It was hard to make headway and after a couple of tacks we threw in the towel, and went to the motor (an 8hp Yamaha 2-stroke), we dropped the main and motor-sailed on the gib. This worked very well. We got in the channel in an hour and tied up to the public berth. We had arrived.

Later that afternoon we had a little explore up the river again and tried to find a place to anchor but without much success. The anchor would not penetrate the hard mud. We came back to the public berth and stayed there, on the opposite side to the channel, overnight.

It was a really great trip.
Peter
Pip #127
sol invictus

Post by sol invictus »

Any Photo's?
Steve
Investigator "Sol Invictus"
Melbourne
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Only this one at the Marina - which could be anywhere.

I did mention to the crew that a photo or video might be good value but we were bobbing a fair bit and she was unwilling to look for the camera down below.

Sometimes I wish I had some cameras mounted in different places to 'capture' the moment.

Peter
Attachments
IMAG0121.jpg
IMAG0121.jpg (10.41 KiB) Viewed 3023 times
Peter
Pip #127
LarryW

Post by LarryW »

Sounds like you had enough problems for an adventure and enough great sailing to make it fun. Glad you and the crew enjoyed yourself. Thanks for the report I think things like that keep the site interesting.
Larry