Jib Lines - Rigging

ossi

Jib Lines - Rigging

Post by ossi »

Hi All,

I'm a new member here, but a proud Investigator owner for almost 10 years in South Australia.

I have always rigged my jib lines by tying them to the cabin op rail at one end, then up through the blocks on the sail clew and then back down through a dead eye and into a C-Cam.

I have been wondering lately whether this would put too much strain onto the cabin top rail and so wondering if there is a better way/place to secure the fixed end of the rope. I have done a search and looked at photos on here but cant see a good photo illustrating how others do this part of the rigging.

Any chance someone else could post some photos of rigging the jib lines on an investigator?

Thanks,
David
no way

Re: Jib Lines - Rigging

Post by no way »

Would think that the safest(best, securest...) way would be to use a block with becket (loop on the top to tie the sheet to) on the slide track instead of the dead eye. That way all of the load is on the track and the sheet would probably run freer than through the deadeye
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Snapshot 2012-01-19 16-00-39.jpg
I use the track on the cabin roof and a ring bolt and block on the deck near the rear staunchion. This allows the crew to work the sail from the windward side. It also opens up the slot and ensures even pressure along the foot and leech of the jib.

There can be a lot of pressure on the jib sheet when beating in good breezes and oftentimes we wait until the boat luffs during a tack before attempting to uncleat.

Peter
Last edited by Dr. Peter on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peter
Pip #127
LarryW

Post by LarryW »

My boat has a small winch on either side of the cabin roof. I then secure the sheet with a jam cleat mounted on the bulkhead. I have had the sheet knocked out of the jam cleat so am thinking of using a cam cleats instead.

I understand Investigators do not need a winch, but they came with the boat and are nice to use.

Larry