Anchoring / Mooring

General Sailing Talk
Dr. Peter

Anchoring / Mooring

Post by Dr. Peter »

Would like to start a thread about this.

We anchored off a beach - bow in and tied to a tree and an anchor laid from the stern. It was a lee shore and we had a pretty severe gale that night. Anchor slipped during the night and we ended further on the shore than we would like.

I went bow in because of the fixed rudder but I wondered whether I should have removed the rudder and backed in putting a bow anchor out a fair way. Just before beaching lift the outboard. The tie the stern to the tree and before going to sleep let out a bit of stern line and take in a bit of bow so the boat floats off the bottom.

The other matter is getting on and off the boat.

I would be interested in learning what others do.

Peter
Last edited by Dr. Peter on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Pip #127
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Anchoring / Mooring

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Peter, that is how I overnight on a beach but  usually I pull up hard and manually bury the anchor deep in the beach. I only set the rear anchor to stop swing . I think you are really better off grounded solid than getting continually bumped into the beach from a lee sea. I have pelican clips on the top life line for boarding although if you are well onto the sand Ian B's method of sitting under the pulpit rail and lifting your feet while shuffling your derrière back works good for the chronologically declining ( like me). Backing up works well but I only use it for day stops and remove my fixed rudder.

I wonder if it's illegal to dig a slot in a beach to put your long keel into?No different to kids digging a sand pool I guess, washes away the next morning.

I have never had a problem breaking the boat out the next morning but lake Mac does not have much of a tidal variation.

I beach on an island by the way ,not on a mainland .....too much temptation for mischief makers :twisted:
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Never did like lee shores. We try to avoid them. For short hop ashore stern anchor and bow in works well. However overnight with tides etc, bow anchor off shore is better. Stern anchor also makes a lot of noise when the waves hits the transom. A small inflatable dinghy seems to be the best solution for overnighting and also going ashore
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Yara50 wrote: A small inflatable dinghy seems to be the best solution for overnighting and also going ashore
I have tried sleeping in a small inflatable dinghy and it was most uncomfortable. :D :lol:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
LarryW

Post by LarryW »

Ozzie wrote:I have tried sleeping in a small inflatable dinghy and it was most uncomfortable. :D :lol:
:lol: :roll:
no way

Post by no way »

You couldn't get me to go bow in anywhere especially if there's a possibility of it becoming a lee shore - reckon its just not good seamanship. If you have to leave (in the middle of the niight???) then its easier motoring ahead than astern into any seaway. If I'm not too sure of the weather then I would take the stern line off, pull out and swing during the night then if its safe to reattach sternline in a.m then do so - also stops bouncing on the bottom which is worse than a rocky night at anchor. Aside from the issue of getting on and off its far more comfortable just for stinkboat wash to be stern to.
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

In my youth, on overnight diving trips, we had a pram dinghy and a tarp. The tarp was laid on the beach, and the dinghy propped up on its side on the tarp, which also went over the top of the dinghy and closed the whole thing up. The oars made good props. Snug nights were had by exhausted spearfishers.
Back to anchoring for the night. The alternative is to fully beach the boat , but you better be sure that the tides will get you off in the morning, and for the Investigator 563 some oars or other means to keep the boat upright would be preferable.
Palamida drying out
Palamida drying out
TinCanBay06%20037resized.jpg (11.17 KiB) Viewed 5988 times
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Hmm, maybe but if you back up and have to leave you have to try to get out to a depth that you can put your rudder in and get your outboard down, at least reversing it's all at the deep end. I admit ive never been caught at night and had to move but I'm in enclosed waters and I am always careful with the weather for anchoring over night.

My beach has very steep approach which does allow you to ground fairly well without heeling . I have never dried right out.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
no way

Post by no way »

Unless you are on a very steep shore the motor can be down, besides it has far more grunt ahead than astern and it's less likely to lift clear of the water if its choppy. Am lucky that I have a swing rudder which even when up is in the water for some steerage
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

As I said I've never had to back off at night or adverse conditions or luckily never had to leave an overnight anchorage. LM is good that way in that you can nearly always find a sheltered o'night spot ,we didn't have the biggest flying boat base in the southern hemisphere during WW2 for nothing ;) but I would be interested to here any stories of people who have and how they went.

Anyone ever dried out sideways with the shore side of the boat on the sand and the other side propped?At least you would be level front to back.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)