Tarpaulin Covers

Yara50

Tarpaulin Covers

Post by Yara50 »

We like to protect our prized boats, and for those without the luxury of a covered area, the next best thing is a tarp.
I use heavy duty plastic "silver"tarps, which usually last about 18 months, and cost around $100. The sun attacks the top section, and a longer life can be achieved by using a strip from an old tarp, and gluing over the centre section to protect it from the UV. I use the side pieces which have had less sun, and a hot melt glue gun.
A mast support (also used for raising), on the pushpit provides clearance and space under the tarp in the cockpit area, and allows access without removing too much of the tarp. I use shock cord, rope and hook clips under the trailer to keep the tarp tensioned. The lifelines also help provide an air gap between the hull and the cover. Cut tennis balls over the top of the stanchions reduce the stress concentrations at those points.
Cover in place. If you look very carefully you can see the small solar panel on the back end of the mast, that keeps the battery charged without having to run power down to the street.
Cover in place. If you look very carefully you can see the small solar panel on the back end of the mast, that keeps the battery charged without having to run power down to the street.
To make removal and fitting easier, I made a section of PVC pipe with a 45 degree elbow, to fit over the mast projection. It is held in place with a shock cord. It helps in three ways. Covers the projections of the cleats and fitting, protects the halyards from the sun, and allows the cover to slide smoothy over the end as I pull it up and over the boat, from bow to stern.
Pipe mast cover
Pipe mast cover
Once the ties are removed and thrown clear, I pull the tarp smoothly straight off the bow, and it floats to the ground almost folded perfectly. Try to remember which way I roll it up so that I can replace with the same orientation.
To refit, lay it out on the ground in front of the boat. Made a plank with two ropes and hooks, one at each end, to hold the lead end of the tarp open. Lift up and pull, using the plank, over the smooth PVC elbow, back towards the stern. Biggest problem is not to trip over the rigging. Is a little tricky on a windy day, but otherwise removal takes less than 5 minutes, ands re-fitting about 10, including lashing.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
LarryW

Re: Tarpaulin Covers

Post by LarryW »

Ian the pvc pipe is a super idea. I copied your set up yesterday as was real happy with the improvement on getting the tarp over the boat. I highly recommend this to anyone that uses a tarp as a boat cover.

Another plus is that the neigbour kids think my boat has a periscope.

Larry