Control lines to cockpit

geoffr

Control lines to cockpit

Post by geoffr »

Hi folks:

I'm planning to do some modifications to all of my running lines, to bring them all into the cockpit for ease of reach -- rather than having to get up on the cabin roof to unhitch to raise or lower the mainsail or jib, etc.

So I'm keen to know how anyone else who has rerouted their lines has done this please.

For example, my main halyard currently exits the base of the mast and is then tied off around a mast cleat, whereas I want to bring this line right to the cockpit. Ditto the jib halyard, perhaps a third halyard for when I might run a spinnaker, and even the vang line.

I'd be keen to know what others have used at the base of the mast (around the tabernacle area) to turn these lines (perhaps blocks on mounts with springs?), then presumably on to deck organiser of two or three cleaves at each corner of the pop-top, so that these lines can turn the right angle and run down beside the pop-top parallel to the grab-rails and the jib sheet tracks, and on to some sort of cleat.

I would appreciate any advice, and pictures too if possible.

Many thanks,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Yara50

Re: Control lines to cockpit

Post by Yara50 »

Turning pulley and sheerleg saddle.
Turning pulley and sheerleg saddle.
As usual, I have a zillion pics but not of the area you need. On Yara I mounted two saddles on the cabin top, near the grab rails and more or less in line with the mast. They work as mounting points for my mast raising shearlegs, but also for small turning pulleys on each. The main halyard exits from the stbd side of the mast, and then through the pulley and back to a jamb cleat on the cabin top inboard of the jib sheet cleat. The jib halyard has a turning block mounted on the front of the mast, then across to the turning pulley on the port side, and similarly back to the cockpit. When you rig you have to make sure they are under the jib sheets.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
no way

Post by no way »

Sorry no pics of my set up but a quick description:-
The tabernacle (deck mounted section of mast base) was made of s/s plate when I bought the boat - I think this part is normally cast alloy to match the piece in the mast. I had a tag with a hole in it welded to either side to which I could mount a small double roller bearing block. All internal halyards etc exited from the side of mast at different heights. The headsail, main, spinnaker and spinnaker pole topping lift all then run down thru these base blocks, so they are close to the deck, out to double blocks (saddle mounted in the same place as Yara's) then back thru jambers to a winch on each side of the rear of the cabintop. Main and spinnaker to port, headsail and top to port. If I was smart I'd probably set up the vang to be adjustable from both sides as well rather than being cleated on the pop top.
My boat does stay in the water but when ever i take it out the unreeving of the lines is no big deal.
Its the only way to go as it allows you to sail properly easily.
If I get a chance I'll take a pic and post it
LarryW

Post by LarryW »

Hi Geoff,
I have had my Investigator for awhile but have not gotten to sail it enough to compare halyards led to the cockpit or just cleating to the mast, but the previous owner had a pretty nice set up. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Not sure if the pics will show in post, but if not they will be attached.

Larry
Halyards to cockpit (2).jpg
Halyards to cockpit (3).jpg
Halyards to cockpit.jpg
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Larry
You are presenting a typical problem- how did the previous owner rig the boat?
It looks like maybe first the setup was with the deadeyes and the cam cleats, and later maybe he added the nice turning blocks, winch and rope jammers?

Second thought- maybe the cam cleat system is for reefing lines?
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
LarryW

Post by LarryW »

It does seem to have an array of expensive hardware
that may have been an improvement on the original idea.

I didn’t get enough sailing time to experiment with the different settings.
Seems to me that the halyards passed through the snatch blocks (think that is
what they are called) at the base of the mast. Than through the double turning
block. Terminating at the cam cleats.

I remember not being too happy with the halyards being held by cam cleats.
The jam cleat was used for the jib sheet.

I’ll be working with rigging in a week or so and will get some better photos.
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Thanks everyone:

This is great feedback! It has confirmed some ideas I've had from looking at other boats.

Now comes the expensive bit: buying a bit of extra deck hardware to put it into action!

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi again all:

Well, I've bought all the stuff and am now in the process of running my halyards back to the cockpit from their exits at the base of my mast.

I'm also about to replace the wire running rigging with spectra for ease of handling.

So there's a bit of drilling and riveting going on about the mast, while on the cabin top I'm fitting some new deck organizers and cam cleats.

My aim is to simplify all rigging and running adjustments for possible one-up sailing, just in case (e.g. when my son's not about to crew).

If the weather's good I'll work on it this weekend and post some more pics.

My biggest distraction though is crewing on other people's boats, and running club racing events!

Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Good questions, Geoff. After my recent experience during the Queenscliff to Geelong I would have liked my mainsheet halyard to be led back to the cockpit.
Peter
Commodore YYC
I563 #127
Peter
Pip #127