Roller Reefing of main

geoffr

Roller Reefing of main

Post by geoffr »

Hi all:

My Investigator did not come with roller reefing capability on the main; instead it's a straight boom with gooseneck clip into a sliding track mounted vertically on the mast, to adjust sail tension.

I'm interested to know what the original roller reefing fit out was like; was it like an Ultimate 18 with a handle through the mast that you wind the sail onto the boom with?

Is it possible to retrofit such a setup?

I usually slab reef the main down anyway, so I'm wondering if it would be worth the hassle of changing that.

Also, has anyone fitted lazy jacks with any success or benefit?

Many thanks,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Yara50

Re: Roller Reefing of main

Post by Yara50 »

The roller reefing is just a spring loaded gooseneck fitting. Pull the boom away from the mast and then you can rotate it. On my one the spring is old and weak and needs some help. Nice to store the sail but reefing- wise IMHO slab reefing does the trick much better.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Thanks for this advice Ian!

Wonders will never cease! I went out in the dark after reading your response, gave the gooseneck a good pull, and sure enough there's a spring still loaded in there, ready for me to wind the mainsail if ever I am so inclined.

Might save a bit of time from now on at the end of a long day!

Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Hi Guys,

My boat came with the spring-loaded gooseneck and I have had some experience with a wind-up crank handle through the mast on my old Hartley 18. The main hassle with roller reefing the main is that the end of the boom droops the more you wind around boom. So when I ordered my new main sail I specified three reinforced cringles along the leach. The third one was quite deep.

What I do to reef is roll up the desired amount of sail around the boom and then tie off between the the cringle and the end of my boom. It works very well. Plus you get to keep the advantages of roller reefing when moored.

Need to add: As well as the leech cringles I specified battens that were parallel to the boom like a picture I saw of a mainsail elsewhere in this forum.

Peter
Investigator 563 Pip #127
Maricat 4.3 La-Ma-Tai #2416

Commodore
Yarrawonga YC
Peter
Pip #127
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Need to add that after my experience in heavy conditions I have been giving my system of putting in and shaking out a reef a lot of thought.
Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Olmate-sail156

Post by Olmate-sail156 »

Peter,
I've never thought of the roller boom as a reefing system because of strain on the mast end and the loss of the boom vang.
Olmate's main has two heights of eyelets front and back for one and two reefs and a D ring and cleat on the mast for each end of the luff reefing line and an outhaul setup on the boom which looks standard for the leech.
Slab reefing I think. It works well.
Graeme