Retrieving single handed, crowded ramp, no beach

General Sailing Talk
Yara50

Retrieving single handed, crowded ramp, no beach

Post by Yara50 »

After a long time off line, I am getting post-crazy.
So, my current challenge-imagine a crowded ramp, no beach, three boats abreast, no chance to walk the boat to the trailer as the pontoon is remote. You are on your own with just an irresponsible little boy crew. Any ideas?
Also, add a cross wind for a little excitement.
Attachments
AppleTree Bay ramp
AppleTree Bay ramp
Apple Tree Ramp (WinCE).JPG (15.82 KiB) Viewed 4543 times
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
snoopebj

Re: Retrieving single handed, crowded ramp, no beach

Post by snoopebj »

Ian
Don't know about you but buying the I563 coincided with a change of life to something slower otherwise I would have joined the need for speed and win at all costs brigade so how about dropping anchor 100metres offshore - have a cup of tea and wait until ramp is empty.
However, if you throw in an impatient wife/partner/buisness appointment/urgent heart surgery into the hypothetical you are truly buggered.
cheers
Emrys
'Current Affair'
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Problem is that ramp is in the National Park, and the gates close at sunset. But you are right, this time of the year would be better.
I have had some stinkboaters jump the que there right in front of me.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Looking at a few old threads and noticed this one.

I am becoming older and grumpier but Im still, I think, a tolerant person. However :evil: As common members with TSP might notice I have become very much LESS tolerant of people who are not sharing and nice. I think Ian in that situation you pull onto the beach , put anchor out on the beach, say a stern rope your son can hold just while you get the trailer or put whatever fixed lines or anchors you need for solo work. ....and then take your time and place. If its your turn you should be allowed to take whatever time you need to launch or retrieve your type of vessel as is needed for safety and convenience. Particularly if you are solo. I don't launch the 563 often but launch my power toys a bit. Im #$#@ 57 with a stuffed back and arthritis, and Im sick of being hurried by impatient dimbulbs. Providing Ive followed standard procedure i.e. not undoing or doing up tie down , drains on the ramp, they can bl**dy well wait, I aint rushing. Ive had line jumpers too. Invariably people with more money than sense with expensive fishing boats they probably cant afford.

If abused for taking reasonable time I often indicate Im deaf or reply in a foreign language while smiling and indicating the size of the fish I caught last week ;) tends to sh*# them even worse.

If there are any gentlemen in the crowd they should lend a hand. Ive done it at the local ramp many times and people are usually grateful.

Given the amount of revenue governments must be raking in these days from the massive number of boat regos and licence fees there should be adequate ramp facilities everywhere .......and places for flying pigs to land. :shock:
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Gee Whiz - lots of water passed under the transom since those posts Ozzie! 2009
The important thing is (ancient and decrepid Mariners as we are) we're still here and sailing.
I recognize that ramp too - used it a few times - it leads to Cowan creek and the Hawkesbury - great sailing area. That ramp is treacherous on low tide as I found to my cost - trailer just falls off the end! Also, as with Ian's hypothetical, the jetty is too far from the ramp with rocks in between. If no help at hand no choice but to hop up the bow ladder start the motor and motor to the jetty tie up and then walk back to the car and retrieve trailer. If people don't like waiting they should have either helped you or alternatively get #@$$ed
As regards the topic I have found out since that certain ramps e.g Port Kembla (even though a high volume ramp) are friendly and people give you a helping hand whereas others are not.
So I use the friendly ones and being retired I can go in at the slack periods. Also after launching and sailing for a few years you tend to get fairly proficient at it.
Maybe there should be a Lonely Planet Guide for boat ramps - telling you not just how good the facilities are but also how friendly the natives are. A retirement project for you Ozzie?
Cheers
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Yes Emrys, it was an oldie but saw it looking for something else and noted how issues just roll on ...see this one in TSP also from a while back..

http://www.trailersailerplace.com.au/ph ... =valentine

It is really nuts that it takes sooo long for facilities to be built. We now have nice little floating jetty at Speers point Park , not large but useful and a recently built good one at the Blacksmiths Ocean ramp. But at Croudace Bay , one of the biggest and most used parks and boat launching areas on the lake for much of my lifetime.... zip. As I say, if all the money generated from boats, including taxes, went into boats this would not happen. Perhaps I am becoming more aware of this as I get older and less agile . I think with an ageing population with people who have grown old with their boats this type of thing will become more in demand. Unfortunately the pollies are all younger than me now so they wont see the need... yet ;)

Sailing around Pulbah Island a while back I noticed a public mooring has been installed , no doubt to promote visiting yachts and help tourism ....Ill run that again.. "A " public mooring on a lake upteen times bigger than Sydney Habour, bringing the total now to about 6 for the whole lake.

Cant rush this I guess. :shock:

To backtrack, I generally find people to be reasonable at ramps , but even with a small floating jetty like at Spears Point it would make things so much easier for solo, elderly and disabled boaters and greatly improve the flow at busy times providing everybody does the right thing . Time Time.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)