Investigator for sale Bracken Ridge Qld

graham5494

Investigator for sale Bracken Ridge Qld

Post by graham5494 »

Gidday all . Went to see a local Investigator for sale. The boat is listed on http://www.boatsales.com.au (SSE-AD-245437) and is located in Bracken Ridge a northern suburb of Brisbane. The boat is a later model with the double hinged front hatch . It was based in Canberra and used in freshwater , which should reduce corrosion somewhat. The tidy cabin is fully carpeted but stove and sink are not fitted . The quarter berths are extended into the cockpit lockers . Two winches are fitted and sails include a spinnaker. The braked trailer has an electric winch and looks sound. Generally the craft needs a tidy-up , but that could be negotiated in the price . The owner Brett has moved to a power boat so is keen to sell. The yacht is certainly worth a look.

graham5494
anjourab

Re: Investigator for sale Bracken Ridge Qld

Post by anjourab »

Hi Graham,

I was amaze to read your lines about this one at Bracken Ridge, as I bought her last week. I get a good deal on the price, Brett was really keen to sale.
I already work on this week end , she is in really good condition, it is more tlc to do than anything else.
Just one thing and I don't know if some one can help me on that: the door cockpit is just 2 pieces of perplex , and I would like to fit her with a real good wood door. Do you know if it possible to find a second hand one... or do I have to build it from scratch.
Otherwise I already did sail her once , and love it.
I probably go on the water again today with a friend.
Cheers.

Anjourab
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi Anjourab:

Welcome to the Investigator fraternity!

I doubt if you will find either second-hand or new storm boards for your boat, but the good news is that they would be fairly easy to make or have made.

Just use your Perspex boards as templates and mark them out on some 10mm thick 5-ply, preferably marine ply so it won't rot as quickly. Whatever you use, make sure you give it 2-3 coats of marine gloss, to really seal out the water.

You may also need to glue/screw some cross members on as well: one for the overlap between the boards to ensure a watertight fit, and the other near the top to take your locking mechanism.

If you don't have the tools or ability in the workshop, then a friendly cabinet maker could make this fairly easily and cheaply for you.

Good luck and happy sailing!
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

geoffr wrote:You may also need to glue/screw some cross members on as well: one for the overlap between the boards to ensure a watertight fit, and the other near the top to take your locking mechanism.

If you don't have the tools or ability in the workshop, then a friendly cabinet maker could make this fairly easily and cheaply for you.
Having made new companionway boards for my present boat (replacing the tatty plywood original with tinted perspex as it happens), I've found that if the horizontal edges, where the upper and lower boards meet, are cut at an angle to, rather than perpendicular to, the surface of the material, (and with the angle sloping down towards the outside) this will help keep rainwater from entering the cabin between the two boards. Basically water would have to go down the outside face of the upper board, then "around the corner" and uphill for a short distance to get over the top of the lower board. Did that make any sense??

If ply boards need a stiffening rib anyway, then this can be placed to do the same job instead of a chamfered edge; as described by Geoff, above.
Potential convert to Investigating.