Tikirri

Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Tikirri

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Ed. I did mention your boat support “bunks” in another thread. In regards to your trailer, I can’t be sure from pic but if you have your outboard on the back or even carried in the rear of the boat it will make your ball weight very light. I’m my early days with a heavy battery in the starboard lazarette and outboard on the back I couldn’t climb into the boat without it tipping on me. Try if you can emptying it out and then weigh the jockey wheel on a bathroom scale suitable to handle 120 kg. Not carrying outboard, replacement of battery with a small one in the front compartment and judicious packing and weight distribution eventually gave me the ideal 120 kg ball weight.

You can in extreme cases move the suspension forward if it’s welded to a bolt on cradle like mine but it’s unlikely your boat being as old as it is would be so out of balance. There’s also some scope to adjust your winch post forward a little but try weight distribution first. As David said I had Weight Distribution Hitching set up on my boat earlier but as I only tow once a year a short distance I didn’t test it much. But the old fashioned shepherds crook style work fine and are easy to fit. Had them on caravans for decades. You would pic up a set on gumtree for around $50 and they last forever
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)