A couple of sailing vids Batemans Bay area

Stories and pics of Investigators on the water - and getting there.
Mark

A couple of sailing vids Batemans Bay area

Post by Mark »

I have made a couple of rough and ready vids of my last couple of sails in the Bay area if anyone is interested.

1. Yesterday, Bay to Malua Bay ( South) ( my first real coastal outside of Tollgates) link here:
http://youtu.be/8umbsgeBppE

Sound quality is terrible ignore. Winds about 12-15kts SOG average 4.0-4.5 its for 3 hrs. Later on a run home hit 6.1 kts my top ever to date.

2. Previous a couple of weeks ago, was planning going north but winds were not favourable.

link: http://youtu.be/BPnymjHmPAg

I have just inherited a GoPro but found it had a flat battery yesterday so used the iPhone instead. I plan some mast shot and also underwater keel examination with the GoPro in coming weeks.Can post results if there is interest.

Cheers

Mark
atles

Re: A couple of sailing vids Batemans Bay area

Post by atles »

mark just great wish i was there too :D
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Great videos Mark!

Will have to ask my son about posting on You Tube, but I started a channel called Investigator 563 Trailerable yacht, and I wonder if you can post there too? Tags for Investigator 563?

Do you always use the storm jib?

There is something not quite right with your main luff tension. Maybe the boom gooseneck needs to be locked in further down. Yara has a luff tension adjustment with a downhaul on the gooseneck. This is less friction than trying to get tension through the main halyard.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Impressive sailing and videos. Good job also on setting up the auto helm (and harness point) - gives you heaps of freedom around the boat.
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the feedback.

Ian: Yes I have a luff issue but it seems to not interfere with the sailing of the yacht. This happened after I got a new Main produced (Eastwind) its not quite right shape/size and I have spent hrs trying to get it set right. I can't haul it any higher up mast as the sail then hits the backstay, I keep thinking I need to get sail modified (cut) by the sailmaker but as I sail every week I don't want to be without it and he would need old main to get it right.

Re storm jib, yes this is my usual heady, I sometimes use others but the boat tends to get overpowered and so I find this a convenient and stable sail for most conditions in the bay.

Observant snoop re the harness point. Yes use when on Auto-helm. Your suggestion was a good one.

Cheers

Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yara50 wrote: I started a channel called Investigator 563 Trailerable yacht, and I wonder if you can post there too? Tags for Investigator 563?
I'll check this out. Can only post if one has login permission I believe.
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Mark, in some views your topping lift seems to be tight. Also the head of the mainsail looks like it can go a bit further up the mast. Is the main halyard jambing on something at that point perhaps? On Yara the main halyard is inside the mast, and I am thinking that perhaps the wire to rope join might be catching on the bottom pulley as it comes out of the mast.

At least on our boats you can take the mast home and lay it out on the ground with the sail and check it all out.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yara50 wrote:Mark, in some views your topping lift seems to be tight. Also the head of the mainsail looks like it can go a bit further up the mast. Is the main halyard jambing on something at that point perhaps? On Yara the main halyard is inside the mast, and I am thinking that perhaps the wire to rope join might be catching on the bottom pulley as it comes out of the mast.

At least on our boats you can take the mast home and lay it out on the ground with the sail and check it all out.
Ian

The topping lift was free - I think it was just the way it appeared in the movie, I always have it free when I am sailing.

Re the sail height: This has been a topic of serious debate amongst my more observant sailing friends. I can get it a little higher but it then rubs on the backstay on a tack.

Also Its very hard to get up further and as per your comment which I also thought it was due to "the wire to rope join might be catching on the bottom pulley " so I replaced it all with a new spectra halyard and.... no difference. Regardless I think that the issue is the sail cut.

So this afternoon after over a yr of procrastinating over this ( and prompted by your questions) I hauled the 'new' main off and overlaid with old main. In the pics below you will see the (1) cut is slightly difference hence rub on backstay, and (ii) length is different, my old main is slightly longer!. I had never checked this before.
I have put on the old main and ill see if dave at EastWind can modify the 'new ' Main.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Another vid short, using the go pro.
http://youtu.be/1lfUvxUc7FU
I had my big heady up in winds ~ 15-17kts, low swell and for first time hit 6.2kts. Averaged for the day around 5kts.

Regards

Mark
cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

Fantastic videos,

Thanks for sharing....
Pete