trailer lights

atles

trailer lights

Post by atles »

Hi again ever one ;)

with the trailer lights,do you guys have the ones that are on the mudguards or the a bar at the back
i had a bar at the back but got sick of taking it off all the time

but how long do the lights work when you keep putting them in the sea :?
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Yara50

Re: trailer lights

Post by Yara50 »

After lots of frustrations, when the lights always had one that would not work, I replaced with sealed LED lights. Still take them off before launching. Mine are the split type, which are clamped onto the trailer and removable with the rego plate. Don't know the QLD regs, but it might be easier to mount off the boat transom, but still a bit of mucking around before and after launch.

The other point of problems is the plug connection to the tow vehicle. They often have poor contact. Thee plugs usually have pins with a slit down the middle. Opening the slit up a bit with a screwdriver helps with the contact, as well as doing a bit of a jiggle as you insert the plug.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Yes the lights are a problem. I am building a new trailer and to get it registered here in Tas it must have backward facing red reflectors, side yellow reflectors as well as front facing white reflectors as well as the lights must be mounted to the back of the trailer. I have a board with the lights and number plate fitted to it which ties to the back of the boat so I will have to make some temporary means of holding the lights in the trailer to register it. P. I. A
I reckon !
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Topaz Bill
Investigator Boat Name: Secret Chord

Post by Topaz Bill »

The best thing that I did was to buy a tail light board from Super Cheap, it attaches to top of transom with two bungee cords, or if trailer empty just to back of trailer. It's quick and easy to mount or demount. The cost was about$60.
Regards, Bill
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

I've just kept the old tailboard going, a fair bit of WD40 (and emery paper) for a long time seems to have fixed the dodgy bulb connections problems. (Now pull them apart annually for maintenance) I was getting sick of the lights failing in the beginning years tho, and nearly went out and got LED's but the board finally decided to be good. (probably had years of neglect before i bought it)

Its just tied on with ropes to the pulshpit. Always check lights working before each tow.

Also stuck red (rear facing) and yellow (side facing) reflectors on the mudguards, to light it up a bit at night when left parked up at the boat ramp.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi David, it's not that they don't like a light board, it's simply that if the trailer is towed without the boat on it, then it must have lights
Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Yes mate, so long as it has lights
Cheers
Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Cheers mate, especially good for you buddy, as it' s costing me, Ha Ha . Seriously, I am more than happy to share info. I am getting to the stage now where it's about time to put up a post on the new trailer build. A lot more time consuming than I first thought.
Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114