Old bloke using an old winch.

Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Old bloke using an old winch.

Post by Ozzie »

To those of you fortunate or unfortunate enough to be stuck at home I thought I’d write a few posts to keep my own mind active and you can read them. Deal!

We pulled the boat off the mooring a few days ago as it was past time and I figured refurb in the back yard was a good way to stay off the streets and maintain social distances while doing something boat related.

This is the first time I’ve used the webbing strap I fitted to my original winch a while back (see other post). It’s obvious advantages are that it does not stick little bits of loose wire into your finger and rolls up neater. It does however have one disadvantage I’d read of . As it bunched up on the drum the diameter increases which apparently decreases the mechanical advantage. I may have been able to reduce this if I’d been more carefull but I tend to get excited and kept winding so it didn’t lay very flat. Even using the tilt and dunking the trailer by the time I got it up to a metre off the stop I was struggling. Of course this could have more to do with my age and back issues. I remember this was a ship load easier back when I was 50.
64F40FB8-BED8-4C94-8B44-8128E94550AD.jpeg

As I have a use for the two speed winch on the 563 trailer (to use on my fishing dinghy trailer) I thought I might replace it with a three speed with say 15:1 low gear. I’m not worried about holes lining up as I’m going to replace the winch post a well as mine has rust.

Does anyone have a 3 speed winch and how does it go??I don’t use it enough to warrant the cost or hassle of electric.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Greg
Investigator Boat Name: Law and Disorder

Re: Old bloke using an old winch.

Post by Greg »

Just sat down after a busy day of working on the boat, would have been out sailing it if it wasn’t for this gale that rolling through.

On my list today was to try to stitch up the strap on my winch that has started separating badly and probably wouldn’t last another retrieval. Long story short I ended up just putting a bowline knot on the end and job done!

Anyway the very first thing I did when I purchased my investigator was upgrade the 2 stage winch to a 3 stage. It made a TON of difference to the retrieval. I remember the day I bought the boat we had it out on the water and had a pretty big day of it. Exhausted already, winching that boat in on the 2 stage almost killed me (albeit I was 50kgs heavier back then and extremely unfit).

So yes 100% recommend the 3 stage winch.

As a side note I was lent an electric winch of my brother in law who wasn’t using it. Rated for 3 tons. I thought I’d test it out at the local ramp before committing to it and I’m very glad I did. Seems like a safety feature of the winch was if it got overloaded it would just release firing the boat back into the water! It didn’t have the power to pull the boat over the back roller without activating the swing on the trailer. Then with the swing activated the boat would only make it half way up before flying back into the water. So I put that one to bed, 3 stage is solid and reliable.
Greg
Investigator #10 - Law & Disorder
Sydney

https://www.facebook.com/lawanddisorder563/
https://www.instagram.com/sv_lawanddisorder/
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Thanks for that Greg, I’m sold. Three speed it is. I’m not getting any younger :D

I have a post prepared on how I attached my strap to the winch but have mislaid the pics again. The current thing seems to be dyneema as winch ropes . Boats and 4wd .
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Meant to ask is your low gear 10:1 or 15:1 ?
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

I think a snatch block would absolutely make a difference David and I bought one on special from Aldi before I fitted my strap which of course made it unusable. I know I could add a rope to the end of the strap you’re going to have to reconnect to a shorter rope through the haul sometime which makes it too much hassle. Block would make a difference on rope only setup. Worth a go for you anyway. Mine comes apart with a removable pin. Available at 4wd outlets.

Years ago I was a bass player and carted around a monster Eden combo amp which was way above the appropriate dead weight allowed by my back injury. I rigged a small block and tackle off the cargo barrier in my wagon and parked my hand trolley leaning up against the bumper of the car with the amp leaned back on the trolley. Used to hitch up the rope and take a casual walk about 15 feet holding the end of the rope while the amp trotted up the incline and parked itself against the barrier. Not magic to me but I’d sometimes get a laugh from the reaction of inebriated young punters in the car park who didn’t have a clue about mechanical advantage and thought it was some kind of Harry Pottery :lol:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Greg
Investigator Boat Name: Law and Disorder

Post by Greg »

Sorry for the late reply............. but yes (or no?) I wasn’t using a snitch block with the electric winch, it never crossed my mind!

The 3 speed I’m using is the one off the shelf at BCF which is geared 10:5:1.
Greg
Investigator #10 - Law & Disorder
Sydney

https://www.facebook.com/lawanddisorder563/
https://www.instagram.com/sv_lawanddisorder/
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

I mucked around with electric winches many years ago without much sucess. I tried two different types and neither would sucessfully retrieve the boat. I settled on a three speed Atlantic winch which was recommended to me by a friend. That was over ten years ago and I have not had any problems with it. It has a capacity of 1500kg and a 15:1 reduction on low speed. The only issue is to remember to take off the handle when you travel.
These winches are still available.

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/162802578063? ... 68QAvD_BwE
Atlantic three speed winch.jpg
Ray
Investigator #39
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Thanks guys for info and links. I have plenty of time to fiddle with trailer now anyway.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

The winches look pretty similar. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't both come out of the same factory in China. The added reduction could be an advantage. I don't think you could go wrong with either.
Ray
Investigator #39
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-Speed-Han ... 2749.l2649
C72BF059-90AF-4E1C-9E36-62DFD850A5DA.jpeg
I bought the above winch off eBay . It arrived today and seems on face value to be ok . It comes with a two year warranty and was an Aus seller . At $67 it is probably the same as a dozen other winches produced in Asia and sold here via mail order . It has dyneema so I’ll be able to use it with my rope block . Low speed is 17 to 1 , so with block 34 to 1 . I should be able turn it with one hand and retrieve the Queen Mary, and it will only take and hour and a half.

I note there is substantial discounts for three of them . Members should arrange a syndicate...wait till I see if mine breaks :shock:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)