Cockpit Locker Furniture

Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Cockpit Locker Furniture

Post by Raya »

I had to replace a broken hinge on my cockpit locker recently and used the last of my spare McCallum brand hinges. (Most 50mm butt hinges that you can buy don't have the correct hole pattern to match the holes in the locker lid). The McCallum branded hinge was no longer available but the supplier I'd purchased from previously offered an alternative. I ordered a few on spec, and found that they were a perfect substitute for the original hinge with the exception of the diameter of the screw holes which needed to be drilled out slightly. I nickel plated a couple of the hinges to match the original finish of the McCallum version.

These hinges only cost $1.50 and are available from scopedistributers. https://www.scopedistributors.com.au/pr ... rass-butt/ The part number is DHL051FB – 51x29 satin brass finish.

The last time I replaced the hinges, I used aluminium pop rivets as I had the right size on hand. This time I went for stainless rivets.
My old pliers type rivet gun struggled to clench the stainless so I upgraded to the lever type style of rivet gun. That worked a treat.

On the subject of cockpit lockers, I replaced the hasp and staple latches some time back with elastic Tourneau cover style clasps. The main reason was to avoid injury from the metal hasps which have a tendency to scrape skin from unsuspecting limbs. The elastic holds well with the downfall being that
it isn't much use if you need to attach a lock.

Below is a pic showing the original McCallum hinges, the replacement before and after drilling and nickel plating.
Original and replacement hinges.
Original and replacement hinges.
Use 4.8mm stainless rivets
Use 4.8mm stainless rivets
Elastic type clasp
Elastic type clasp
Ray
Investigator #39
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Cockpit Locker Furniture

Post by Ozzie »

Good info Ray. Particularly that site. I bought myself a new pop riveter a year ago, the base plier type which I had before without the hole for the large rivets. Regretting it now as the big rivets with the small pop rivet gun is almost beyond my strength. Have to look for a lever one on gumtree. I could buy a new lever one but where would the fun be in that :shock: :lol:
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Raya

Post by Raya »

Ozzie, Forget about trying to find the gun on gumtree, go for the S/S rivets instead. The packet of rivets I bought was around $20 where as the gun was just under $40. Go figure.
Ray
Investigator #39
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Bit far away for me but if anyone is close .....3/16 or 4.8mm

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/leichha ... 1264231594
5347381E-9FE4-44A8-ABA4-772F4CB460A1.png
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Oops apologies if anyone read this and contacted the seller...they are not described as stainless. I use Gumtree quite a bit, to the point I don’t put my brain in gear while doing it sometimes :oops:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Post by IanS »

Hi Ray,

Is the elastic loop on your cockpit locker shown here one of these: https://www.whitworths.com.au/canopy-lo ... white-75mm

Not sure if they are bungee with woven outside or just rubber. I was thinking of using a few to tie down the hatch from inside if I go for a mooring.

How have they held up to the sun?

Cheers,
Ian
Ian, Rhythm #121
Raya

Post by Raya »

Ian,

I bought them elsewhere, but they are the same as the ones from Whitworths. (I have since seen them at Bunnings.) They come in black or white.
No problem so far. I think that they would hold up in the sun as they are designed for tonneau covers.
Ray
Investigator #39
IanS

Post by IanS »

Thanks Ray!
Ian, Rhythm #121
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Thanks for this info Ray. Very helpful. As for your pop rivet gun, I recently purchased same one you have as I got sick of replacing the cheaper style ones. I can highly recommend the type you show here, they are excellent. Also love the fact that the little plastic bottle catches the spent rivet shaft for easy disposal. Just brilliant and you never pinch your fingers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
IanS

Post by IanS »

Finally got around to nickel plating a replacement hinge. Managed to order the hinges that Ray found.
Nickel Electoplating - 1.jpg
Nickel Hinge.JPG
If anyone wants a nickel welding rod, I'd be happy to post. A box from Bunnings cost $39.68 (ouch), way more than the hinges. I ordered some nickel on ebay for much less from China. I have no idea what kind of metal it was, but it wasn't nickel :(

Now I just have to fit to the locker.
Ian, Rhythm #121