New Trailer

Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: New Trailer

Post by Peter T »

Yes you are quite right Geoff. With the mud guards, I had purchased those white plastic ones with a step each end of them. They were cheap enough and light. from memory around $50. But with the mucking about with the axle position and bunk supports, they would not fit as they were too long so I have swapped them over at the shop for a set of bulk standard galvanised ones. Will see how I go now. I have the boat on the new trailer at the moment so a good time to fit bunks and guards
Thanks for your reply.
Cheers
Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

OK, my man from the Grain Board rang and asked if I wanted to weigh the boat and trailer this arvo.

My all up weight of boat and trailer is 1320 kg. Trailer is the original 1977 model.

I didn't bother getting a towball weight as the scales only go in 20 kg increments. So tomorrow or soon after I will get the bathroom scales out and do a ball weight test. I am curious as I have recently mounted the outboard on the hitch post on the drawbar, which would add 20 odd to the gross and I guess about 15 of that would be on the ball also. It used to ride in the car.

The load was at full travel trim. So, if you take off about 20 for the donk - 5hp 2 stroke mariner, 10 for the full fuel tank in the port locker, 20 for the lead-acid deep cycle battery in the starboard locker, 35 for the water in the front storage locker, and say 20 for various other bits and pieces in the lockers and cabin - total 105 - the benchmark 1200 kg is pretty damn close.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Geoff my mate! You lighten my heart. I know that my trailer will be quite a bit heavier than yours as I have built it strong, but even given that, I might still be under the 1800kg that the tyres will take. I just need to fit the mud guards now and I will find out what my all up weight is
Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

All good Peter! Half a ton should be plenty of wiggle room. :D

Looking forward to knowing your split weights when you are done.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Yes mate, me too
Cheers
Peter
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Well, I have been very busy on the new trailer,. I can't believe just how much work it has been. I have learnt at least one thing through this process. I absolutely hate welding in the upside down position ( laying on your back and welding above you ) and I bet you all do also. If you don't, then you have not tried it, Ha Ha. To do this, a leather apron is an absolute necessity. Anyway, I decided to remove the brackets that were to hold the timbers that guide each side of the keel. I have fitted brackets of box section with 16 mm nuts welded in to take a single wobble roller on a special purpose made right angle bracket each side of the trailer on the 1st, 2nd and third cross members. I have also fitted double adjustable swivel keel rollers using grey rubber non marking rollers a little wider than the rest, on the back three cross members as well as red rollers ( best for fibreglass hulls other than rubber ) for the front and 2 nd ones.
At the back, I have installed a set of those blue, spring loaded angled rollers that will guide the boat to the centre of the trailer.
I have adjusted the axle position to what I believe to be correct for a tilt trailer. With the boat on the trailer and the outboard mounted on the back, I have enough weight on the tip mechanism for it to sit solidly but not too heavy on. The last thing you need is for the tip mechanism to be jiggling up and down against the latch when traveling, as this will quickly wear out the tipping latch. By the time I fully load the boat which will include the anchor, chain etc, it should be good. The tow ball weight that I have at the moment is around 80 KG. This seems light, but it is a lot more than it was on the old trailer which towed with no problems. By the time I mount the spare wheel and extension tow bar, the tow ball weight will be considerably more. I believe I have it spot on. I was going to use plastic mudguards but they would not fit so I swapped them for galvanised ones and these have now been fitted and look good. Once the axle position was determined, I removed the 50 x 50 section that held the springs, wheels etc and welded on a fresh set of Spring hangers and slippers in the correct position on the bottom of the side rails. This has lowered the trailer by that 50 mm and I am happy that the trailer is low enough but not so low that I won't be able to get out of my driveway without scraping on the ground as it was on the old trailer.
Still to do :
1. I need to weld on some tie down 10 mm rod to the top of the side rails
2 I need to weld on four small brackets to hold the yellow and white reflectors.
3. Tow it to the weigh bridge
4. Register it.
5 Completely dismantle it and take it to Launceston before the 14 th Dec to have it galvanised so I can get it back before Christmas.

So, The push has been well and truly on over the last couple of weeks and my back is absolutely stuffed and screaming out for a rest.
I will take a photo and post it soon
Cheers,

Regards Peter T
Last edited by Peter T on Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Yes David. Hope so
Peter
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

A few pic's for your enjoyment
NT1.JPG
NT2.JPG
NT3.JPG
NT4.JPG
NT5.JPG
NT6.JPG
NT7.JPG
I have booked a registration inspection for next Tuesday lunch time. The trailer will go over the weighbridge tomorrow, then I need to make the new winch post and fit the new winch. I have five more keel side roller brackets to make and two more orange reflector brackets to make and fit. If Rego goes ok, that leaves me Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to completely dismantle, load it all on another trailer and get it to the galvanisers in Launceston, so I am flat out. Here is hoping for smooth sailing ( so to speak Ha Ha )

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Well, I hope not mate, Ha ha. No, it's just the camera angle
Peter
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Morning all, have had a great day so far. Went to take the trailer to be weighed and there was a small problem. Big squeak squeak from the right hand side wheel. It turned out that the casting for the drum is a bit out of round and the outer edge right up close to the disc was rubbing on the bottom edge of the disc. There was enough metal there on the disc to be able to grind it back enough to stop it touching. I will now need to seal that up to prevent it from rusting but no problem.
Anyway, the great news is that my trailer, which I fully expected to weigh in at around a ton, came in at 300Kg on the nose but without the bunks or rollers fitted. So, if the boat weighs let’s say, 1200kg, and I can get the trailer rated to what the tyres are ( 1800 kg), then I will have the weight of the trailer up my sleeve.
HOORAY! What a relief.
I am booked in for rego inspection next Tuesday

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114