Where can I buy toerail

tomgat

Re: Where can I buy toerail

Post by tomgat »

hi
No Way, before I order is it possible to see photos of yours? I am also interested in seeing how your stanchion are attached as I need to install these as per wife's orders.
------------------

new york private investigator

no way

Post by no way »

See previous pics for toerail detail.
Will take pics of stanchion bases at weekend and post

no way

Post by no way »

A couple of pics of the stanchion bases.
I used the original triangular bases - cut the stanchion off - then welded a new plate on top of the old plate and outboard - then re-welded the stanchion on the outboard edge of the square plate. The triangular plate uses the same inboard hole with the other two under the overlap - new outboard holes thru the toerail.
Attachments
stanchion base 2.jpg
stanchion base 2.jpg (70.72 KiB) Viewed 728 times
stanchion base 1.jpg
stanchion base 1.jpg (68.88 KiB) Viewed 728 times

Private Eyes
Investigator Boat Name: Private Eyes

Post by Private Eyes »

Hi everyone.

So that you know, after a lot of research and contacting people in the marine industry in NSW,
I have found that Guiles Marine otherwise also known as Guiles Engineering, closed its business back in 2017. They became insolvent.

https://publishednotices.asic.gov.au/br ... 24fc05c2f1

So people wanting to use Aluminium Toe Rail extrusions need to look for the product elsewhere, and I did a lot of searching and ringing around people in the industry, and was unable to find an extrusion that would suitably fit our boats.

Good luck.
Cheers, from David in Tasmania.
Sail number 109

no way

Post by no way »

My Bad. Knew and dealt with Alan in the 80's and since. He was getting on. Sad as he was badly dudded by Seawind Cat when they went belly up then phoenixed in Vietnam. The extrusion for the toerail is off the Adams 10. Maybe the guys in Newcastle who used to build them might help. Saw a post that said Phil West from Sheerline Spars might have some connection A10 moulds

Private Eyes

Post by Private Eyes »

The big problem "No Way" , is that Australia does not have the number of yacht builders in Australia nowadays,in comparison to the 80's and 90's. The big aluminium extruding companies are not going to gear up there factories for small runs, of extrusions that dont sell. The only way you are likely to find them, is if a place has old stock lying about.

Just think about it, how many Adams 10 yachts are built today and sold. I would probably suggest none, as they are so out of date on today's standards of yachting. The price factor for an Adams 10 built today here in Australia would be way exorbitant to what a modern day racer would be from some company in Europe.

But the very best of good luck to you if can succeed in sourcing down a supply, for those people that may be interested in purchasing. I have exhausted all of my avenues, which is very extensive, and to no luck what so ever. So I hope you can do better. :)
Sail number 109

no way

Post by no way »

Was suggesting that the Adams builders or their connections (Sheerline Spars) my have some lying around. The big Aluminium extruders have owned very few marine dies since the late 70's. The dies are all owned by the user. In '78 cost us $1600 to have die made for a mast which had previously been a Comalco section, because when the die broke they just deleted it - a process they continued for years. We had to have a 250Kg billet extruded each time we need more stock.

Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

I’ve had two poly boats now and given the popularity of such materials and the ease of manufacturing I’m surprised some lightbulb hasn’t seen an opening for poly toe rail. You could extrude it out like poly pipe on order. Is that possible.

I leant my brother in law my 1974 FG kayak for a cub masters canoe training session. He said he was the only dude there with FG , everyone else had poly. Next, the poly trailer sailer. :|
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ... Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)

Private Eyes

Post by Private Eyes »

Poly is terrific stuff. Nice and light,ultra strong for it's size, and the beauty about it, is that it can easily be repaired. Plastic welding can easily be done by the home handyman, if you chomp a bit out, but if you bend it, or dent it, it can easily be fixed with just a little heat. It is cheap to produce, and can be formed into many different shapes ans sizes.

For all of the above reasons, is why car manufacturers now use it for panels on their cars, especially for bumpers.

It would be great if some decided to extrude poly toe rails, I have to agree with you Ozzie.
Sail number 109