The List

General Sailing Talk
PetrusP

Re: The List

Post by PetrusP »

Raya wrote:
PetrusP wrote:Great job :) -. Not sure if Clever Girl is actually 53 though cause don't have original sails :/
Petrus,
I already have two boats with number 53, Calaway and Stormtrooper. Why do you think that Clever Girl could be that number as well? (Maybe we have a set of triplets in the family.)
Because when I sanded the stern I can faintly make out a word that looks like it reads Tarawerra
Petrus Pretorius

Investigator 563 #unknown 'Clever Girl'
Brisbane North
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

PetrusP wrote:
Raya wrote:
PetrusP wrote:Great job :) -. Not sure if Clever Girl is actually 53 though cause don't have original sails :/
Petrus,
I already have two boats with number 53, Calaway and Stormtrooper. Why do you think that Clever Girl could be that number as well? (Maybe we have a set of triplets in the family.)
Because when I sanded the stern I can faintly make out a word that looks like it reads Tarawerra
Petrus, You are right. I didn't pick up on this because of the different spellings (Tarrewa, Tarawera) but it is the same boat. This one was owned by "Calaway", who sold it to "The Monk" who sold it to "Outahere" who sold it to you. It has been called "Tarawera", "Calaway", "Peachy Pie", and now "Clever Girl". I'm still not sure if it is sail number 53 or if that belongs to "Stormtrooper" in Tasmania. Calaway said that the boat had an outboard well in the port locker, which would make it a very early model, however, it has a window in the forward hatch, a feature that came much later. It was advertised as being built in 1979 which is later than when the 50's were produced. In any case, you now have a bit of history about your boat. Use the search function on this site to find out more. Here is a picture of "Clever Girl" when she was "Calaway".
Attachments
bp5310790916700075303.jpg
bp5310790916700075303.jpg (23.59 KiB) Viewed 6888 times
Ray
Investigator #39
Zephr

Post by Zephr »

Hi is this the label that might have the boat number on it, I know it doesn't mean much but I'm restoring to as close to original as I can and have a thing for historical details ;). Cheers Brett

PS it has catalogue 108 on the sticker.
Attachments
IMG_1259.JPG
PetrusP

Post by PetrusP »

Petrus, You are right. I didn't pick up on this because of the different spellings (Tarrewa, Tarawera) but it is the same boat. This one was owned by "Calaway", who sold it to "The Monk" who sold it to "Outahere" who sold it to you. It has been called "Tarawera", "Calaway", "Peachy Pie", and now "Clever Girl". I'm still not sure if it is sail number 53 or if that belongs to "Stormtrooper" in Tasmania. Calaway said that the boat had an outboard well in the port locker, which would make it a very early model, however, it has a window in the forward hatch, a feature that came much later. It was advertised as being built in 1979 which is later than when the 50's were produced. In any case, you now have a bit of history about your boat. Use the search function on this site to find out more. Here is a picture of "Clever Girl" when she was "Calaway".

Amazing job! That's definitely her, at least the clears things up a bit, looking forward on reading up some more on her story.

Thank you!
Petrus Pretorius

Investigator 563 #unknown 'Clever Girl'
Brisbane North
Flip

Post by Flip »

Hi guys avna has been sold to northern tas I. Have contact details but won't post please ring me and I will supply. No to contact new owner flip
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

11 out of 10 on list Ray. You are the keeper of the flame.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ray good lists, you may like to correct Aminee 28 rego number to NH222N she got the N when she moved from the ACT as Snow dancing to Batemans Bay NSW and renamed Aminee.
I am no longer the owner and don't know if its be renamed again but the ego should be the same as long as still in the state. Best Mark
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

Zephr wrote:Hi is this the label that might have the boat number on it, I know it doesn't mean much but I'm restoring to as close to original as I can and have a thing for historical details ;). Cheers Brett

PS it has catalogue 108 on the sticker.
Brett, I have number 108 as Private Eye in SA.
Have a look at the inside cabin surround of your front hatch. Is there an indication that the hatch originally had a centre hinge or two hinges? If there was one centre hinge, the boat number will be less than 100. Did you find a design award plaque?
Ray
Investigator #39
Zephr

Post by Zephr »

Thanks Ray, the front hatch has 2 hinges, I haven't been able to find the design award the only sticker I can see other than the HIN is the one I posted. Will keep looking although focusing on repairing minor chips in the hull getting ready for a Navy Blue paint job, once I get onto the deck I may find more clues hopefully.
Bartman
Investigator Boat Name: Sailing Scene

Post by Bartman »

Hello Raya,
This is a great list.
If you are still keeping the list updated please add in the following details.
I have my Investigator 563 with Sail #138, Registration AAJ104N and the Name "Sailing Scene" in Berry NSW.
Attachments
20181224_115717.jpg
20181224_115717.jpg (23.86 KiB) Viewed 6658 times