Cockpit Hatch Hinge

General Sailing Talk
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Cockpit Hatch Hinge

Post by Raya »

Some years back, I replaced the seal under the cockpit hatch with a thicker seal in an attempt to keep rainwater from draining into the hatch. This was not very successful as the hatch still leaked when it rained. The thicker seal did put more strain on the hinges and eventually one of them broke. At the time, I couldn't find a suitable hinge to match the holes in the hatch lid and had to settle for a plastic hinge.

When I refurbished the boat recently, I had another go at replacing the hinge. The originals for my boat were made by McCallum Australia and was pleasantly surprised to find that the company is still in business. The original hinge was plated brass. McCallum still stock the hinge but only in brass without the plating. Close enough for me.

I had to order mine through the local agent, (a locksmith) and they took awhile to arrive but the hinges fitted perfectly. They were only $3.60 so I ordered a few spares.

I secured my hinge with 4mm pop rivets with a washer underneath as per the originals.

If you need to replace your hatch hinges, or anchor locker hinges, and want to match up the original holes, you can order them from your local McCallum agent. The part number is B302.
Attachments
Hatch hinge.jpg
Ray
Investigator #39
Yara50

Re: Cockpit Hatch Hinge

Post by Yara50 »

Ray,
If you want to put seals on the hatch you need an offset hinge, or packing under one side. Yara has an offset hinge. Next time I am on board I will check if they have a name or number.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Re: Cockpit Hatch Hinge

Post by Raya »

I don't have to worry about sealing the hatch from rain now that the boat is "moored" in my shed. I opted, instead of the seal, to use a simple rubber extrusion around the inside lip of the hatch well. It will stop small amounts of water leaking in but the main purpose is to cushion the hatch lid when it closes. The hatch closes flush and the seal looks pretty neat as well.
Attachments
Hatch seal.jpg
Ray
Investigator #39