Cold weather sailing.

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Cold weather sailing.

Post by Ozzie »

I was going to add this to the Aldi thread but I thought it might benefit from its own thread. Aldi have the annual Ski Gear Saturday this weekend. A few years back it was recommended over on another forum that this gear was good for sailing. I bought a pair belt and brace ski pants and have been using them for a few years. They are very good, very warm and well made. The cuff zips allow you to easily roll the pants up if you need to shallow wade. I usually wear them with wetsuit boots . At $40 they are less than half the price of Burke salopets from WW. Don't even mention the cost of goretex pants. I would want an attached jet pack for that money.
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.53 KiB) Viewed 2711 times
There are some reviews on this site in the interests of balance . Mixed opinions , in sailing you are not covered in snow but I've stayed dry in mine in light rain no problems.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1460685

Also note that they have the little chemical hand warmers for a few dollars . These are fantastic and can be re activated over and over again . I've had mine for years and are great to put in your pockets on a cold day sailing.

I did not get an Aldi jacket as I already had a good Burke wind proof jacket which I wear over a sloppy joe and that's ok. I think the jackets are good as my wife bought one and they are also quite cheap at $60. The only thing I would watch is that the jackets are not too bulky to put whatever you wear as a pfd over. The other bits and pieces like thinsulate beanies and scarves are also good for cold weather sailing. I have a neck band type scarf that can be used as a beanie or balaclava I bought years ago at bcf and it's the most useful bit of kit I have . I've worn it in Europe, Canada and Alaska in the cold, even night kayaking in NZ and even though it's only stretchy nylon it's very warm and holds your hat on while sailing ;)

Usual disclaimers , blah blah.

Winter sailing is often the best time of the year, but I dont enjoy being cold. What do the rest of the forum have for cold weather sailing.?
Last edited by Ozzie on Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Phil

Re: Cold weather sailing.

Post by Phil »

Got to agree about the Balaclava. Definitely the most used piece of kit ,I even sleep in it.Gets pretty cold on Port Phillip Bay. Nothing worse than being chilly around the gills. I use an old goretex jacket( $25 at Trash & Treasure ) and lots of layers. Also find the Oldsea boots two sizes up with two pairs of heavy sox a must. when I was a kid I used to love running thru puddles in gum boots.Winter sailing is like that.....cheating the elements.....and no one else is out there .Bliss !!
PHIL CARR
SOLITAIRE # 004
SANDRINGHAM VIC.
atles

Post by atles »

:lol: winter sail is the best !! the weather is more predictable in Morton bay
but yes it get cold at 5 am setting up i have a nice wool jumper and like you guys

the burke spray jacket
BU-SPR24_Spray_24_Jacket__09436_std.jpg
BU-SPR24_Spray_24_Jacket__09436_std.jpg (25.47 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

In keeping with the theme of this thread. I fish in winter off the 563 and when you want to wash the rancid halibut giblets that you use for bait off your hands there is not much alternative than plunge them into the freezing briney.......except if you stick them under the outboard telltale. Last night I got to thinking isn't this a waste of useable hot water and how could you more easily make use of it . Found this on the webernet.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=190030

It taught me a few things about outboards ie the telltale water stream is only an indicator that the pump is working and as such is not off the cooling water. I assume it is warm by a mild heat exchange. Anyway it's an interesting read. But if you eng types are considering it read all the cautions. If you sail in fresh water you could use it to have as a warm shower which was my original idea when I started researching. It would be great to circulate fresh water through your outboard and have it come out warm on a deck shower and not just in winter.

Please read all the cautions if you contemplate this idea. It looks simple, but if it were outboard a manufacturers would probably offer it as an accessory. As my late dad used to quote " there are more things in Heavan and earth Horatio , than are dreamt of in your philosophy"

Horatio probably was happy with cold hands.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)