Modified 563

General Sailing Talk
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Modified 563

Post by Geoff »

Experienced ones,

I was just checking out TSP (for ideas for our forum, truly) and I only got as far as their graphics slider. I got to a pic that I recognised as a 563 - the logo on the mainsail gave it away. Flying a pretty blue and white spinnaker and sail number 72. Checking Ray's db says it is Wagtail.

https://www.trailersailerplace.com.au/w ... 08-028.jpg

Anyway, it looks like it has a non-standard mainsheet setup. As in, the boom attachment point is well fwd of the normal attachment point, and drops nearly straight down. I have seen that other trailer sailers have this mid-mounted sheet attachment as standard.

Is this a factor of chasing performance? It must cut the cockpit in half, so I assume it must be for performance gains.

I am only curious, I want my boat to be like me built for comfort and not for speed.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Modified 563

Post by Ozzie »

Yep, got it in one Geoff. I think there is some discussion on the forum somewhere about shifting the traveler down to the cockpit seats. Technically If placed there I suppose it does a better job of doing what a traveler does ...see here

https://www.liveabout.com/how-to-use-a- ... er-2915470.

But, much like a steering wheel and console in a small sailing boat it does take useful space from the cockpit area the rest of the time. My mate always had them on his yachts and I was always tripping over them if I crewed for him.

I think someone may have mentioned that the standard device in the Investigator is technically not a traveler more a limiter or variable attachment point as a traveler has lines to adjust the cars whereas ours just has stops. I can’t find that post now with the search . I think that article covers it fairly well. Another fine tuning adjustment I neglect to adjust most of the time as I might spill my Sauvignon Blanc. :shock: :lol: :lol:
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

LOL Ozzie. Priorities!! :lol:

Thanks for the link, that is a well-written and informative article.
Geoff

Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Sounds like a very comprehensive set up David. It would probably confuse me :lol:

The link above also has many articles underneath the article under reference. These are also very good not just for new sailors but anyone wanting to fine tune their knowledge of sail trim. As I mentioned elsewhere not necessarily needed to get on the water, just rig up and go but good if you want to pickup a new process. There are a bazillion ( that’s a whole lot ) of sites on this stuff, but some are better than others like YouTube. If the newer sailors would like, I’ll bung up a list of the one’s I’ve found best and we could make it a sticky. What do you think Geoff?

Knowledge is a wonderful thing but the ability to pass it on is a whole different skill set. I have played with some very talented musicians over the years but picking their brains on playing tips I’ve found sometimes not fruitful. They just don’t explain things well . Sailing sites are often like that . There is a French guy who does great sail handling vids I’ll see if I can find the link.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Ozzie, that would be the grouse.
Geoff

Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=642&p=3261&hilit=accent#p3261

Here’s the previous post with links. The gent is Italian not French but my wife still loves his accent . It was ppconsultants but now it’s under the banner of a sailing team. His videos are excellent so are the ones from captain John. If things are well explained they stay with you.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)