#90 Tikirri is back!

General Sailing Talk
Edsped
Investigator Boat Name: #90 Tikirri

Re: #90 Tikirri is back!

Post by Edsped »

2 Batteries sounds like the go! By the way, AGM and Gel batteries are actually different :)

I’m really interested to see how you mount the solar panel, I’d really like to mount a 30W one on the side of the push pit rail and have it fold down for trailering and storage :?:
Edsped

Post by Edsped »

Wow that looks exactly like what I want :o You gotta tell me where you got those mounting clamps from!

Please show us some photos of your trip too, I’m really interested to see how you go. Every day I look at the open ocean and think I’m sure my little boat could handle that :lol:
Edsped

Post by Edsped »

Thanks so much, that’s exactly what I was looking for!
I think I’ll probably be getting one of the 30W panels (or similar dimensions and mounting it like yours 8-)
We don’t have a fridge and I don’t think we’ll get one so that should do it for charging our very efficient little laptop, phones and lights :)

Very much looking forward to seeing footage from your trip, I need to see some more investigator open water sailing so I can be more confident :lol:

I just got back from a trip with friends in St George’s Basin. 5 of us, heaps of camping gear and pulling a tender also full of camping gear haha. It was slow!
Topaz Bill
Investigator Boat Name: Secret Chord

Post by Topaz Bill »

I towed my empty trailer back to the Tablelands last Sunday, leaving "Secret Chord" at Maryborough. I gave it an inspection the following day, and the rear supporting crossmember was completely fractured in the centre beside the double rollers, and had cracked the runners at either side where they were welded on. This crossmember had been professionally replaced before I bought it. This was of 50 by 50 gal box, and appeared adequate. How the yacht didn't end up sitting on highway one I'll never know. This is an important topic, thanks to the contributers.
Edsped

Post by Edsped »

Hey Bill, I was just googling invesigator 563 on YouTube and saw your two videos yesterday! Look forward to seeing more.

Sounds like some dodgy welding mate, good luck with that!
Topaz Bill
Investigator Boat Name: Secret Chord

Post by Topaz Bill »

I'm certainly no Steven Spielberg, Edsped, but I'll try and improve. The video sailing near Pentecost Island ran for far longer, but only 20 seconds would load. And to think I once worked in films .
Edsped

Post by Edsped »

Well this topic has been sitting on 99 replies for too long! :lol:

If weather permits I may be taking Tikirri out into open water tomorrow, I’ve got some flares and all other requirements. The wind looks tame and so does the swell but if I’m not feeling up to it then we won’t be going but hopefully :lol:

We’ll be going from Kiama harbour and that’s about as far as the plan goes so wish me luck!
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Good luck mate. Nice to see 563’s being extended to open water sailing more and more . I’m spoiled by Lake Mac being 110 sq km so don’t venture out. My blue water cruising requirements are two bars and a theatre as I’ve stated before. Two bottles and an iPad are all I’ve managed to shoehorn in so far.

Pics please :D
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1170

Just a further post to refer anyone reading this thread regarding urinating over the rail and the possibility of deadly consequences.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Edsped

Post by Edsped »

Well I thought I’d update everyone about open water Kiama trip or lack there of haha.

I did however go sailing on Jervis bay (not the first time) just this Wednesday in larger swell that was produced from the strong winds the day before, about 50km/h+ from the SE. This swell enters the mouth of Jervis bay perfectly so I believe it is very similar to open water conditions (though I can’t say for sure having not left the bay)

The whole time I felt quite safe but the words from my girlfriend “this is the biggest swell we’ve been in” echoed in my head the rest of the trip. We started from Huskisson and had a pleasant bar crossing then headed straight for Bindijine beach (east) to anchor in the sheltered bay there. The mild southerly was sufficient to sail however the steep waves and medium chop slowed to the boat down and I guess we averaged about 2 knots across the bay.

Apart from a large 40ft-ish Seawind catamaran (a skippered day charter) we were the only ones sailing the bay which made us feel both brave and a little uneasy! We had 4 people in total on the boat and during the passage the bow dipped down (or waves came up) a couple of times to the point where there was about an inch or two left before the wave would have come over. That being said it was on the upwind passage bashing into the waves, the passage back was far smoother.

Just thought I’d share my experience with the investigator in larger swell. I did feel a little anxious due to the waves being larger than I’ve experienced before but every step up in swell size has made me feel the same. I’m positive the boat could handle a lot more especially with better handling but I honestly don’t want to haha.

Ed