#90 Tikirri is back!

General Sailing Talk
Edsped
Investigator Boat Name: #90 Tikirri

Re: #90 Tikirri is back!

Post by Edsped »

The current windows are not recessed as someone ended up making some oversized ones which are glued and screwed on :roll:
I’ll just make some like this but no screws and they’ll go the full length :)

I won’t be messing with the pillars, I can see they are probably quite structurally integral haha
Edsped

Post by Edsped »

I’ll certainly look into it.
I could just trace the window shape onto them and jigsaw. I’ve seen these runners which look fairly easy to use which hold the window in flush with the material 8-)
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Ed, like your idea. I’m replacing windows right now and I’m doing some slight “modernising “ on my setup too. Pics to come, but I had seen an Investigator on LM years ago with a one piece overlay window and it looked very cool.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=498&p=2784&hilit=Windows#p2784

This post above from Cruiserpete on his windows replacement is a good read . Particularly re the heat proof paint on the inside edge to mask adhesive , which I used on my front window replacement a few years back and his use of the industrial grade double side tape which is apparently industry standard these days for windows . I will be using an adhesive sealant I used on my caravan, name escapes me for now and replacing the ss screws as the holes are already there. Can’t complain I guess they have lasted 40 years.
DD4BAE5F-0311-403A-BF86-F9B1D2C1C843.jpeg
There is not much view out there they are opaque and slightly crazed but not cracked
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Edsped

Post by Edsped »

Look forward to seeing what you do Ozzie and thanks for the link, I’ve seen cruiserpetes stuff and it’s very inspiring!
It looks like he has one piece of Perspex per window (2 pieces per side) but I can’t see why my idea wouldn’t work using his method. The worst case scenario is instead of one large piece of Perspex I use 2 pieces almost butting up together (maybe a 5mm gap) to give it the more modern look I’m after :D

The windows on Tikirri are clear but just so dodgy lol, also one of them is sanded on the outside which was clearly a mistake! I’m just keen to get to them looking decent one way or another.
Edsped

Post by Edsped »

Tikirri is back again! :)

We’ve been out on 7 sails so far and got an overnighter coming up this weekend!

Got some paint to re-do the sides and bottom of the boat for now and probably do the top when it’s too crapy to sail :lol:

Here is some photos from the drone today!
Attachments
BA5848B8-9D83-4A61-B9BD-8A26D935685E.png
9EDEC58E-0BCF-4F8C-83A9-803659084DCB.png
E10E581F-F581-4DAB-ADF1-6D0A8C9F1628.png
Edsped

Post by Edsped »

This is Lake Illawarra! (Wollongong Area)
Awesome scenery with the escarpment to the west and heaps of jellyfish! :lol:

If you ever go I recommend the boat ramp north of the lake in Berkeley, it’s not in google maps.
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Great shots Ed . Boat looks great . I need some good shots of Spritzig II under sail . I have an Aldi drone the kids gave me a few years ago, but my flying skills are likely to turn it into a submarine, which would work...for a few seconds. :shock:

Anyway if you get a chance could you do an addition on the “Ramp review “ post with maybe a pic and description. Cheers, keep up the posts. Seven sailing trips, I’m jealous :mrgreen:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Ozzie wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:48 am it’s funny how many racing sailers on the lake practice the “overtheside siphon “during a race . Not so funny is the statistic that most male sailors who are found drowned after falling ob at sea have their fly open apparently. :shock: :shock: who compiles these stats :?: sheesh.
In regard to the above quote from earlier in this thread I was just reading this in Afloat magazine . :shock: FYI.

https://www.afloat.com.au/feature/the-d ... urination/

So hang on with both hands ...and that means the railing, not...
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Edsped

Post by Edsped »

We have now taken Tikirri out over 10 times and stayed aboard a few nights! We’ve been having a lot of fun and looking forward to the sailing season haha.

I plan to paint the hull when time allows but for now I’ve put in a decent sized AGM battery, a switch board and some excellent warm LED light strips. The battery will allow us to charge our laptops, phones and other tech For multiple days so we can get a lot of work done if needed for the occasional trip away :lol: obviously it will power the LED light strips, navigation and anchor lights too.

For now the most important upgrade we want is a better mattress so we are going to get some replacement foam for the side bunks soon. Does anyone have suggestions for a decent material to cover the foam in?

Here is a photo of the inside!
Looking forward to getting away :)
Attachments
EAA1D3C1-F012-4992-807D-EDD24007D506.jpeg
Edsped

Post by Edsped »

Thanks mate, fortunately the timber was like that already!
It makes hiding cables easy too!

That’s great advice about the upholstery, I’ll definitely get both of those things done on these as I plan to be staying in it a fair amount :D

We ended up getting a 120ah AGM as it fits in the side v berth storage area nicely 8-)