#90 Tikirri is back!

General Sailing Talk
Edsped
Investigator Boat Name: #90 Tikirri

#90 Tikirri is back!

Post by Edsped »

Hi guys, my name is Ed, I’m 26 and my girlfriend and I have just bought an investigator :D

I’ve been reading a lot of awesome stuff about the investigator recently on this forum so I ended up buying sail #90 AKA Tikirri. I see that she has been on this forum a few times before which is very cool!

The Investigator caught my eye for a few reasons, the first consideration was my limit of 1.4t towing from the Hiace, next we wanted something stable and reliable and the investigator seems to have a good record in this regard and lastly we wanted something sleep-able for overnight or several night stays with room for some scuba and metal detecting gear which the i563 certainly has a lot of for its size :)

We’ve had the cruising/sailing bug for a few months now even though my sailing experience is limited. My girlfriend and I plan to sleep in it a couple nights at a time (once I’ve got some experience and confidence in the boat) in places like Jervis bay, Botany Bay and Sydney harbour/manly and then for possibly more extended holidays in port Phillip bay and the Whitsundays.

This group is an amazing resource I only wish it was more active but I’ll do my best to do my part. 8-)
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Re: #90 Tikirri is back!

Post by Geoff »

Hi Ed,

Way to go! I am heaps older than you but probably even more of a sailing newbie than you. And just recently bought an Investigator. :D

Nearly everything I know about sailing I learned on this forum!

While I wait for this covid thing to resolve?, I am making minor changes and hopefully improvements, although that is probably a subjective term.

Things like replacing lines, making up a boom vang, replacing a few fittings etc. Refining out my mast-raising procedure.

Looking forward to reading your progress, while I keep learning from the more experienced sailors on here as well.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Edsped

Post by Edsped »

That’s awesome man, which one is it and has a previous owner been on this forum?

I’m so tempted to start messing around with everything but I feel that I really need to sail it before I’ll know what I want/need. At the moment I’ve removed the rusted centreboard and am getting a stainless one cut as we speak so I don’t have to think about it for a long time!
Other than that she appears ready to go :)

I’ve just downloaded a sailing simulator (esail) to learn and have made leaps and bounds in understanding the physics and practical aspects of sailing so really looking forward to getting it out on the water!

Where about’s are you?
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Hey Ed,

I bought #50 Yara off Ian B. There are a great many references to it in the forum because the previous owner was the admin of this forum. From what others have said this forum mostly exists due to his past efforts.

I have renamed the boat 'Timeless'.

Ian is looking around for a moored keelboat, but still has an active interest in the forum, and he is still a forum moderator. I have also taken over as admin of the forum. That mostly means I take care of the hosting and the tech aspects.

We also have a couple of other moderators who are the most active posters and very interested in the direction of the forum. They are very conversant with the operation of the forum, which I am only coming to grips with. And very experienced I563 owners.

Me, I live in central Qld, half an hour from a man made inland lake, 2 hours from the coast and 3 hours from the Fraser coast. Been out once on the local lake. The goal is to get competent on the fresh water, then take the bride to the strait between Fraser Island and the mainland, and like you, hopefully camp out for a night or two.

Looking fwd to bouncing ideas off you.
Geoff

Edsped

Post by Edsped »

Ahh yes, I’ve seen Yara across this group many times.

Sounds like a plan, look forward to hearing about your adventures and I’ll be trying to pay back some info of my own to this forum once I know something :lol:
Edsped

Post by Edsped »

So I noticed when I pulled up my investigator with the crane that the wooden carpeted hull cradle things can swivel in and out and change the angle, should I tighten these so they are correct for the investigator hull or are they supposed to swivel when you are launching/retrieving?
There is a couple scrapes on one side of the hull where one of these cradles must have over swiveled and the edge dragged on the hull instead of the face cradling it if this makes sense!
Whats the best way to upload photos?

Cheers, Ed
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Hi Ed,

re pics. When you are typing up your post, above the box is a row of formatting tools. One of them is an icon of a landscape, mouse over to see the names. That one is insert image.
Geoff

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Trailers have different setups, but sounds like mine is similar to yours - carpeted boxes built over rollers to spread the load.

I noticed when I launched and retrieved that mine can flip over too, was a pain and made retrieval a 2 person job, one on the winch and one making sure the boxes were up the right way. I am going to make it that they have less travel so they cant move that much.

There are heaps of posts on what you are asking. My gleanings from them are that your straps should carry the load. The boxes/rollers are then adjusted up to where they stop the boat rocking excessively, but don't bear the load.

According to Ian who owned my boat, the rear rollers should be dropped a couple of inches before launch to prevent pressuring the hull at its widest point.

I am sure the more experienced blokes will give you real-time experience and advice. Whoa sexist. Or ladies. :shock:
Geoff

Edsped

Post by Edsped »

Ok here is a photo of the cradle thing that I mean. In this photo it is tilted up a little too much but I could tighten up the bolts or weld in place if needed. The angle that it is at in the photo directly lines up with some scuffs in the grey paint so it needs to be handled by someone.

I’m not sure if your trailer is a tilt trailer but this one is so I don’t think there will be excessive pressure on the hull from a single roller but haven’t attempted launching it yet :lol:

P.S. I figured out how I just wasn’t looking hard enough!
Down the bottom is an attach file which seems to work
Attachments
C4C4B3AB-BD8A-473F-BFA8-1523470EB7ED.png
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

OK, so different to mine. I have 4 instead of your 2. As in 2 short ones each side rather than 1 long one.
Geoff