Haulout Spritzig II

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Haulout Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

YUK :oops:
BC4CB037-F057-4EC7-8183-4C4D7B9F5924.jpeg
If you want to give your boat a quick makeover for b*gger all just replace the stickers :)

We painted over the oiled storm board with weather shield gloss white so decided to tart it up with a logo made from 3m vinyl
0366EF00-3BFB-44BD-B00F-6323CF12512B.jpeg
This was just laminated paper with 3m tape frame
8F16404B-3149-4E78-B731-873115D5A58C.jpeg
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Mrs Ozzie masked up and resealed the cockpit locker floors and flowcoated the cockpit sole which was getting ratty. We are reasonably confident the boat will go on for another 40 years of good sailing even though that won’t be us at the helm.
F2691C9A-D199-4206-BB19-66A8CE5C339B.jpeg

We replaced the combination ss/rope halyard finally with all spectra also all the reefing pennants and the top lifelines, more 6mm spectra (you can cut them now in an emergency) plus what seemed like a hundred little fiddling jobs that I might mention later.

In all the old tub came up pretty well.
BAA9B80E-F6FC-4B20-8A91-75091C3CE411.jpeg
1F1948E2-2577-42E4-AEBD-A797F15EC25B.jpeg
Click to enlarge all pics
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

A2EE62DC-0DC9-431B-8944-4ADEF291C162.jpeg
We launched last week and were frankly too stuffed to sail after all the yakka but launched a few suburbs away for a nice long putter back to the mooring and a nice lunch communing with the pelicans.
E0E2A3E7-7FCF-454E-9E30-836B05022E90.jpeg
We’ve rowed out once to check everything since but next week sails up and off , weather permitting.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Ozzie that all looks beaut, storm board logo is very flash.
I think I will have to make up infills like you have, they good great and would be practical too.

Got a question re your flowcoat - what is the product you used? I have been researching but going around in circles.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Thanks for the compliment mate, we like to add bits every now and then, it’s keeping our enthusiasm for sailing going.

The cockpit was painted with this goop which from memory I got from Bias when it was still a going concern. I think WW sell an equivalent now. I was impressed with how well it self levels. Mrs O was unhappy with one coat and I think the second coat she did was worth it, you can barely see brush marks and only if you’re looking hard. I even added a bit to resin and talc and used it around the boat to fill small holes with colour in one go. Working so far
Brush on, walk off
Brush on, walk off
Tap on pic and it goes portrait mode :( go figure
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Thanks David. Got it now. I thought flowcoat was just a paintable gel coat, obviously not. I’ve had that can for ages just for touching up chips and scratches but this is the first time we have painted it on in any quantity . Was impressed at how easy it was to use.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Magnificent job all round Ozzie.A great incentive for us and timely for me fitting out after my mould attack. :mrgreen:
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Thanks Emrys, it’s amazing what a lockdown can do for your boat :lol: Shouldn’t make a joke but it did fill a lot of spare time. Just have to get out and use it now. All the best for your refurb. Pics please :) just going to update my mast plug thread, you’ll get a laugh.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi David, you mentioned a fibreglass job around the front edge of the centreboard case.
Mine needs the same. I reckon people who do not understand, untie the rope holding up the centreboard and just let the centreboard swing down freely which allows the leading edge of the centreboard to crash into the leading edge of the centreboard case. I was thinking of making up a thin stainless steel piece in the shape of a square "U" that would fit vertically inside the centreboard case as a strengthening piece. Repair the fibreglass and then glass the stainless piece to the leading edge of the case. what do you think? Of course, this damage will not happen if one is careful letting down the board in the first instance, but you as we both know, " you don't have to tell me, I know boats ! " is far too frequent. I was also thinking that once fully lowered, there needs to be a knot or some arrangement to not allow the board to go down so far that it hits the leading edge

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

David, Ithink from memory from my Roberts that it depends on if you use soft or hard anti fouling. You would never use a brush on the soft stuff as it would no longer be there. At first, I used that copper in epoxy type anti fouling.It was hopeless so Tim from Tamar marine advised me to use the soft stuff. The one I used was a nice fairly light blue. Looked and worked very well although I think that anything that worked really well has been banned.

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."