Unashamed boat envy

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Unashamed boat envy

Post by Ozzie »

https://youtu.be/zNh56ZKa4HY

Great vid just for a few minutes of escapism. I’m wondering how I can get the wood stove set up on Spritzig II. This vessel is 108 years old .

On a technical note his comment on galvanised rigging is interesting, remembering he’s constantly crossing oceans in this thing. As I pointed out over on the other place once, millions of sea miles have been done on gal rigging. Sometimes we get so caught up on modernity we forget history.

Not completely sure but I think this shot is in Montenegro where I have visited. Amazing place which attracts amazing boats.

Enjoy :)
B18083C4-B033-4A73-9DCA-1752CF0FA1DA.jpeg
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Unashamed boat envy

Post by Andrew »

HI ozzie, im not envious of his probable maintenance costs tho.! Prefer Investigator sized issues anyday. Still nice to see how a dedicated livaboard restorer has done it. His ship has a real old world charm.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Absolutely Andrew, I agree. This really is a lifestyle, career, hobby, vocation. If he’s doing charters I guess he writes off most of his costs against his income but you’d need to love it above all else. It’s not a part time business.

In most of our travels around the globe and this country I always gravitate to the waterfront if it’s not where we arrive and it’s always the old timber boats that grab my interest. Stuff the super yachts. We have done a few day tours in old timber vessels in Turkey, Vanuatu and even Sydney harbour and I think if I won powerball that’s what I’d buy. Only if you were loaded and could ring up the marina and request a service , hull clean, recork and antifoul. Doing it yourself though would be a constant job. I think the rewards of owning such a vessel are obvious though.

While looking at boat vids to amuse myself ( intermittently raining so haulout stuff intermittent too ;) ) I came across this old fellows vid on the interior for his sixteen foot micro cruiser. Not an investigator but thought his internal fitout was very clever and well executed. I’m hoping to add a few internal mods this time and I like looking at how others make interesting and intelligent use of very small spaces. I think his micro foldaway gallery is great.

Whole vid is a nice distraction from current difficult times at any rate.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mWJqkiTE4

DISCLAIMER Unfortunately it contains the ubiquitous “explodo” stove . I’ve written volumes over on the “other” place on these. The newer ones are supposed to be much safer and are now approved again by the relevant authorities but if you have one of the older models walk don’t run to the nearest wheelie bin and drop it in. Only should be used outside IMHO and that probably includes the newer type.
ABCFF0FB-8C27-44D6-BB4B-85468723C0EA.jpeg
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

We take the dog walking everyday to a different water front location. Sometimes twice. We joke he’s actually sick of it. As I mentioned we have had a motza of government money spent on the primitive ramp and jetty infrastructure in LM in the last few years. The main jetty and baths at Valentine were redone a few years back and extended last year. If there are cruising yachts n the east side they often wind up here.

Took these pics the other day one large sailboat one small, had a short chat to both but as I said to the guy in the larger boat these are “real” cruising yachts. Covered with gas bottles, line, kayak tender lashed to lifeline, windscoops on the hatches and a dog. None of your Keith and Nicole Super yacht spit and polish.

Can’t help but being a little envious really if you’re isolated there could be worse places to spend it ;)
3EADB678-924D-46AD-B799-767EA37B9B9B.jpeg
56EC16AC-B481-45A2-95AE-990E949C4A59.jpeg
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Yep it is something of a quirky boat. I think he’s a solo sailor most of the time so it suits him. I read quite a few micro cruiser articles and the comfy chair is often mentioned. We have big comfy cushions in Spritz that we use in the cockpit or cabin to read or relax but many small boat designs have a good upright seat for reading/relaxing as a priority. Fair enough I guess..

You would be pleased with me David, I resealed the anchor well yesterday with two pack, as it had been done, but was a bit knocked about and have finished completely repainting it since.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/69a1240b-0 ... b0fbf1fe32

No! no! not the comfy chair! :o

Yes I’m getting bored...back to boat.

(Only a short gif)
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)