Stoves

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Stoves

Post by Ozzie »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt69fbNhCgs

Comparison of fuels here. USA stuff but might be interesting to persons using alcohol stoves.

As usual YouTube turns up multiple links to associated things you had no idea about. Such as this.

Oops forgot link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKYW492dKRA
Uses big solid ezbit style tabs or alcohol burners

I used an ezbit stove I bought from Nock and Kirbys (now that dates me) on my first big motorcycle trip to Fraser Island in 1975. Bloody think stunk and nearly gassed you if used near the opening of your tent
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Geez they have allot of alcohol fuel products over there!

Less choice here it seems. I get Diggers methylated spirit from Bunnings, 3L for around $15. Its 95,% ethyl alcohol and burns ok in all my stoves (salsa, CAN and Trangia). Any other fuel brands worth a look?

Re the HPV Salsa, its a nice stove for the price and love it but probably wont use it afloat awhile. Plan to use as a hot brekky stove at boatshed. Its 2 flaws for boat use. 1: it cant be heeled over must operate level (air hole in fuel tank cap leaks if tipped) 2: if burner blew out, then fuel trickles out below it. (similar to a maxi blow out) (then gas blowing out can be much more explosive). To use aboard it needs a catch pan/gimballed frame., and tape the air hole if moving.

The CAN (Bonneti) is a mini "Origo principle, wool in pan type. It is ok for marine use but is expensive. It needs to be set up with pot holders, cook box etc. It needs a gas bbq lighter, very hard to light with matches.

After all this the trusty Trangia 27 probably would win for now while the cookbox etc is being built. Its a good first alcohol stove/cook system to buy. given small stowage, cookset, windsheild, never fails and the price is good around $120 to $200. A trangia 25, the largest one, would cover 1 to 4 people. When Inside a cook box in cockpit its much safer from crew knocking it over onto feet etc when alight (its main danger).

ps. bought an 11 panel windsheild from RTM for $15. It aluminium with gal pins. Folds up small, is 110cm x25cm, that sheilds any single burner well.
Attachments
HPV SALSA gasifying alcohol burner
HPV SALSA gasifying alcohol burner
Last edited by Andrew on Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Andrew,

Thanks heaps for sharing all your research and testing. I didn’t realise the origo was such a good thing. I had thought about selling it but won’t be now.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

No worries Geoff,

Agree your Origo 1500 is as good as it gets for safety/output/quality longlife in a small galley. Thats foretunate Ian passed it on, I'd hang onto it.

The only thing it cant handle well is immersion in Salt water. The body etc ok, just the burner pan wool.(Roger Barnes once capsized his cruising dinghy and the fibreglass wool burner carried allot of salt afterwards , which reduced output. He finally got a new one from Compass24, so their new stove unit should be an exact copy of origo and new spare parts available again too)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Watto
Investigator Boat Name: Ex - Fathom #82

Post by Watto »

So I finally managed to get a Weber gas go anywhere for use on the investigator.

Looking forward to putting it to use.
Attachments
F0BFB7C8-690F-499E-B1C3-E2591748BBED.jpeg
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Nice looking bit of kit Watto. Can you get a rail mount for it ? Probably easy to make one.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wallsen ... 1279428276

I’ll throw this here rather than bits as it’s on topic. Come on in today’s gummy. Seems a bit steep but has a grill so I assume that’s why. Gent will post. 🔥
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
no way

Post by no way »

Ozzie. Its that price because metho stoves like old Maxi and Ravia stoves are so rare these days. It sure won't last long
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Yes, I guess you’re right no way, it’s almost a collectors item. He should auction it on eBay. Highest bid boils the kettle. Still as Andrew points out there are many equally good alternatives these days. I get by with the single burner. Part of the fun of boat camping is not having all the comforts of home.

Single pot cooking requires imagination. Only thing that sucks is camping stove toasters. I’ve tried all of them and as I said earlier they are all inventions of the devil and it looks like he made the toast. So I guess a grill would be nice.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
no way

Post by no way »

Ozzie. Bought it as an investment. Will also set up gimballs before I resell it. Use and always have used 2 burner gas companion in cockpit.