Keel shims

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Keel shims

Post by Ozzie »

Peter, that’s thinking outside the square for sure. Lots of old LPs kicking around too.

Don’t use blues records though you might get the centreboard blues. That was terrible I’m going to bed :oops:
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Well Ozzie, don't get the blues then or you might not sleep
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Ozzie wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:51 pm https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16479240357 ... 9&targetid
Was it nolathane you used Andrew ?

Im not sure Ozzie, havent heard of that plastic before.

in my blog ive written "polyethelene?" for the centerboard cheek shims. (and "polyacetate?" for the pivot pin bushing). In practise i just described what it was going to be used for in detail to the tradesmen/engineer involed, and mentioned it should be something like breadboard, (high compression, long wearing and slippery) then they decided the best material for the application.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi all, just been re reading some old posts and came across this one. As a matter of interest, when I fitted my centreboard, I also fitted a couple of thin pieces of lubricated nylon as square washers to the front lower sides of the centreboard case so that when the centreboard is lowered, it slides between the two fitted pieces which takes up most of the difference in size between the thickness of the centreboard and the opening of the centreboard case. These pieces are only two or three inches long and don't interfere with future removal of the centreboard at all but what they do is support the centreboard at the bottom of the case from trying to flog sideways when the centreboard is down. This should take a lot of pressure off the thrust of the large washers each side of the centreboard which would otherwise put toggle pressure on the pivot bolt. Also, I shaped the leading edge of these supports so that the centreboard would not catch on them as it entered on the last part of the downward swing of the centreboard. They are held in place with Sikaflex and was very easy to do.
Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."