Smallest boat in the US Navy

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Smallest boat in the US Navy

Post by Ozzie »

Ok, you’ve got me, nothing to do with sailing, but actually it does as it’s been *$#@ raining here for two days, mrs Ozzie’s job list was fairly low and we were going sailing. Instead I’m surfing.....the net .

Visit Popular Mechanics occasionally as I could not afford the cover price as a kid. Did you know the smallest boat in the US Navy is only the size if an Investigator. Not sure how your getting through life then . In case it’s raining where you are here’s the link.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/milita ... p-us-navy/
4FD83A01-CA74-42CE-9477-747461AEA898.png
No you can’t have one unless you pony up $100k ....that’s without sails .
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Re: Smallest boat in the US Navy

Post by snoopebj »

geee Ozzie you are bored
As an old geezer with the usual seniors prblems my first and most impotent question is - is there a toilet on that thing?
My second question is why did you post it? haha
If you're rained in with cabin fever Ozzie try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5RTZi2i92M

Fantastic sailing videos and awesome couple with some brilliant ingenious ideas. I'm so impressed with their research and choices of equipment I'm thinking of the same boat. Super tough safe cheap and great performer to windward.
Anyhow I'm a born fiddler and this is heaven.
BTW I've already ordered the Tecsun pl600 ssb radio. the clansman could be next.
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Emrys! Your back! Thank god🤪 I often google small boats and then hit “images “ you would be amazed what I find. Anyway my main reason for following this link as this was on popular mechanics which has Ash Hip load of boats and boat related tech. Also a few kn*b ends I used to work work with and still have a beer with occasionally used to sling off at my “toy” yacht. Only 19 feet they’d say :o anyway they got this link first. And I’ll rub it in that the US navy has a 19’ boat next time we have a beer, when the world starts up again. If ever.

As for a dunny, they don’t even have them on the C130 Hercules aircraft so far chance on this. Have to go ...it’s stopped raining and you’re back to take over the Aldi reports :lol: :P
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

snoopebj wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:14 am
If you're rained in with cabin fever Ozzie try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5RTZi2i92M

Fantastic sailing videos and awesome couple with some brilliant ingenious ideas. I'm so impressed with their research and choices of equipment I'm thinking of the same boat. Super tough safe cheap and great performer to windward.
Anyhow I'm a born fiddler and this is heaven.
BTW I've already ordered the Tecsun pl600 ssb radio. the clansman could be next.
Emerys, i was fortunate to meet Troy years ago at Magnetic Island. A real life cruising guru, before they became utube stars. dug up my blog link about our meeting at Horseshoe Bay anchorage. https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/ ... 2185682140

It's surely another world they live in, the almost permanent cruiser, with few ties to land life. the Investigator allows a small taste of what that life could be like, without all the major commitments required.

The Clansman 30 seems like a very suitable and economical Australian cruising design.

Ozzie, those Boomin' beaver tug boats are solid-as, have a draft of 5 feet!! must weigh a few tons too.
Last edited by Andrew on Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Yes, I read that super deep draft spec Andrew. Amazing design. I saw similar vessels operating in the harbour on Vancouver island a few years back. Spin on a dollar

Must point that out to my old workmates, May be small but there’s a lot going on below the waterline, much like an Investigator.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Nice one Andrew
Would be great to meet them and Magnetic island a beautiful place.
Yes adventurous pair; its their practical knowledge from choosing the vessel,the fitout their lifestyle being able to subsidise their trip online. Not only does Troy s great practical knowledge appeal to my fiddling obsession (although missus complains I never finish any project!) Pascal is very inventive in storing and preparing food onboard.
And Ozzie as to your tug and “what’s under the waterline is what matters” I think you’re tugging something
and it’s not another boat, 😃

Emrys
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Emrys , you are getting cheeky in your old age and I think it’s because your going keel boat on us :lol: it starts with a radio and pretty soon a few links to keelers then the whole £€¥^ boat ;) Seen it happen here , TSP , TSCom .

Liked your friends in the video but seriously, I don’t think I’d be happy as a full time cruiser anymore than a full time grey nomad. In our travels over the years we’ve met a few. Now, I’m unique among my friends as having slept for 3 months in a sleeping bag but I like a queen bed to contrast with it afterwards :shock: Contrast is important.

You (anyone) love sailing . If you do it all day every day it’s not the same . I’ve had two friends turn activity they loved into a business. Both turned out to be disastrous, financially but also destroyed their enjoyment of something they loved. It was much the same for me with music. I played for 20 years before I got serious and joined a band. After 15 years and an insight into the music business and the miscreants in it, the whole thing shipped me right off. For 6 years after I didn’t even listen to music. I only know one live-aboard and their boat is not the pristine mega organised stuff you see on YouTube. Ha, If you check the pics I posted on Covid-19 thread on the two long term cruising yachts at Valentine Jetty they had shite strapped all over the boat. Surf ski for a tender,rusty push bike, dead grandparent, etc etc.

Other thing, if you getting old, your live-aboard keeler will have a head, unlike my tug, but it won’t have a hospital five minutes down the road , like my house 8-) :P :P
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

.......and I’m expecting a full review on the boat stuff coming up at Aldi......
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Come on Ozzie how old are you 95? Hospitals? queen size beds? I’m in my twilight years still healthy (sort of) had friends who were very careful and tragically not around any more. In the words of the immortal Welsh bard:-
“do not go gently into that dark night rage rage against the dying of the light”
Davids salutary tale should convince you.You might think you have everything then along come the neighbours from hell.
Great point David To be able to pull up anchor and wave goodbye is priceless.
Have had and still have great friends but being free to go anywhere (“free range sailing”) is essential in my mind. In my case it was a motorbike world trip which eventually brought me here. Still ride Triumphs and drink Jameson.(in that order)
Not having a go Ozzie but big philosophical difference.
I’l still do the Aldi reports just don’t mention tsp.
(How did all this come from a tug boat picture? )😀
Last edited by snoopebj on Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Emrys
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

snoopebj wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:15 am I’l still do the Aldi reports just don’t mention tsp.
(How did all this come from a tug boat picture? )😀
See ....it wasn’t really a tug boat......it was a fishing boat and I’ve caught quite a few :lol:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)