The World has moved on.

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: The World has moved on.

Post by Ozzie »

I was going to add paint it with pink and orange Zebra Stripes. Thieves are lazy scum and less likely to steal something that stands out a mile away and have to repaint to disguise.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Ozzie wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:05 pm Top find David. I can’t beat that one although I did get my 8 foot Seacraft aluminium tender for a case of 4x :) it had a 2 ft hole in it as it had been on the back of an old motorhome that had caught on fire. Cost me $100 bucks to get a patch welded in it.

As with yours the chief attraction was it looked too crepe to pinch and the huge weld made it easily identifiable. I don’t leave it on the shore as it’s very light and between my wife and myself we can rooftop it although we used to have a small dingy trailer.
Hard to disguise this repair
Hard to disguise this repair
The poor bloke moored next to me has had three tenders pinched, never off the mooring, only at night off the shore. They should lock the baskets up... along with the klutz who invented battery powered angle grinders, which I believe are the thief’s best friend. Even chains won’t stop the buggers these days. A leg rope and anchor for all of them :twisted:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

It has served me well for over 20 years now , come to think of it 20 years ago $100 was probably a bit of dough...but 4x was still pretty bloody worthless :lol: :lol: . Sorry Queenslanders. :|
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Out for a nice sail today, fairly brisk wind but wanted to fiddle with new reefing pennants. Headed on a nice reach down to Belmont on second reef and no. 2 jib. Boat was going swimmingly till we decided to drop the cb to beat over to the west side of the Lake. $”@& cb was stuck. Was fine a few weeks back so some Schwartzeneger style barnacle must have got enough grip to foul the swing. Curses, this does not bode well for the new formula antifoul which I think “no way “ said was derided by the dealer as inferior to its predecessor. I’m not impressed as I usually get 7 or 8 months before needing to dive and clear mullock from the slot.

Anyway we are now relaxing in the channel which is surprisingly full of boaties and their brood making merry. You could almost think there was no pandemic. Hope they are all following the rules.
Elizabeth Island LM
Elizabeth Island LM
There wasn’t much sail on the lake for a public holiday especially up the Belmont end. A few in the distance down Pulbah island area

Hope you are all enjoying the holiday
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Good advice David. I will have to move it to the shallows first thing next outing anyway to free up the cb so I’ll give it a good scrub down while it’s there. The lake was full of swimmers today for the long weekend holiday so water is now warming up. As we intend to use the boat far more regularly this summer we should keep her bottom clean. I’m not a racer but sometimes it’s nice to get that extra knot out of her that you only get with a clean smooth hull.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Didn’t know where to stick this post but given my first thoughts on how empty the lake was Tuesday I thought this thread will do . Most week days have a fair bit of activity but yesterday it looked like a pandemic or something was happening. Sometimes however, it is nice to have the lake to yourself, no jet skis, no wake making gin palaces. We headed north towards Toronto to maybe grab a coffee, down south was nothing bar a tinny near the drop over and one lone sail way off in the distance.
AC1BC61C-83CA-4616-9693-F2E5D7BEEF92.jpeg

As we neared Toronto things livened up, the armada of the yacht club races came into view. Immediately switched to plan B , go down to Styles Point near Rathmines take some pics for a ramp report and make our own coffee. En route Grizelgutz , ships mascot looked like he needed a “walk “ so we stopped at the Rathmines jetty near the WW2 Catalina flying boat launch ramp.

Sad sight, about eight meter steel hull sloop aground at the jetty. Local fisho told me it had been there about three months. Apparently developed a leak and was attempted to be berthed at the jetty but ran out of depth. A pump, now swamped, was on the offside deck and Nsw Maritime containment barrier around it.
7239117C-BD6C-45B0-811C-9AE315CFCD10.jpeg
Was once a nice boat I’d say but as I mentioned on the other thread things can go pear shaped very quickly on boats. He was lucky he was so close to shore. At least he was able to salvage some stuff I guess.

We got comfy at the jetty for lunch but I promise a ramp report on Styles Point another day. Trip home gave us some nice 20knt breeze shared with a few foil moths whizzing by and some enjoyable sailing ..except for Grizelgutz who, since he’s getting on a bit is less happy on a heeling boat and found a nest up in the quarter berth under the cockpit and seems to be saying “what the he’ll are they doing now”.
78475AF5-9A3D-4436-A6DF-4D38D2E3CD98.jpeg
I hope our Victorian members who may have been under restrictions are free to go boating again and fingers crossed this all lasts for summer and indeed beyond.

Full sails and welcome to all the new members.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Good news I guess.

https://betterboating.vic.gov.au/news/b ... ray-river/

Let’s hope it holds.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/q ... 2020210713

Expensive trip to the footy. Says super yachts are being targeted...does that mean they’da made it in an Investigator. :o
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

https://roads-waterways.transport.nsw.g ... pdate.html

I had been wondering about this . Above is from the horse’s mouth.

Stay safe .
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Watto
Investigator Boat Name: Ex - Fathom #82

Post by Watto »

Still need to be within 10km of your home. Means I’m limited to sydney harbour.

If I wasn’t still working I was planning a night out and staying near the zoo on the public moorings.
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82