sailing on the murray at goolwa

General Sailing Talk
ianb9

sailing on the murray at goolwa

Post by ianb9 »

Hi
I just stopped by to give a quick hello to a fellow investigator i bumped into sailing at Goolwa yesterday, or the day before. I have lost track of the days during the xmas break.
I was sailing in my investigator Sail number 95 called St Kilda, when I saw a fine little boat coming up fast. As it went by I noticed it had the name Private Eye stenciled on its rump and sail number 104. It was the only time I have seen another investigator around for ages and it was a bit of a buzz.

The name was Private Eye, singular not Private eyes. I was wondering who the owner might be and if they were a member of the forum.

If they are a local to the Goolwa area Are they planning to enter the Milang to Goolwa classic race on the 26th.?

I will be entering and hopefully finishing.

Cheers for now
sail number 95 no name on boat

Private Eyes
Investigator Boat Name: Private Eyes

Re: sailing on the murray at goolwa

Post by Private Eyes »

This is a reply that I had from Ray to a post that I put up in relation to my boat, it may help you out. Ray may know more about Private Eye, if you contacted him. Cheers David.

Raya
Post subject: Re: New member to forum.
Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:57 am

Welcome David. I'm sure that you will enjoy your Investigator and you did get a bargain. Your boat was advertised a couple of years back for $8000.
My records show the boat number is 109, which is 601 upside down. If the sail has the Investigator logo, then the number is definately correct. This would be one of the first boats with the two hatch design making it a 1982 model.

Of interest, boat number 108 is called Private Eye and is located in Victoria.

Make sure you let us know how you go and feel free to ask any questions.

Investigator #39
Cheers, from David in Tasmania.
Sail number 109

Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

I'm away from Australia at the moment so don't have access to my Investigator folders. I'll check when I get back in a week or so to see if I have any additional info about Private Eye.
Ray
Investigator #39

Private Eyes

Post by Private Eyes »

:) ;) ;)
Raya wrote:I'm away from Australia at the moment so don't have access to my Investigator folders. I'll check when I get back in a week or so to see if I have any additional info about Private Eye.
Sail number 109

Raya

Post by Raya »

The Private Eye that I refered to was number 108 and was one of three Investigators once owned by Peter Yates in Victoria. I believe he sold it sometime back in 2010. The problem here is that the sail number doesn't match the observed Investigator. The photo I have of Private Eye shows that it has a distinctive raised cabin hatch.

Sail number #104 is a boat called Allana. (I also have a listing #119 Allana in QLD.) #104 was in SA so this one may have been renamed Private Eye. I don't have a photo. The only other detail I have is that this boat has been fitted with an inboard diesel engine.

Did you, by chance, take a photo of the passing Investigator.
Last edited by Raya on Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Investigator #39

Private Eyes

Post by Private Eyes »

Raya wrote:The Private Eye that I refered to was number 109 and was one of three Investigators once owned by Peter Yates in Victoria. I believe he sold it sometime back in 2010. The problem here is that the sail number doesn't match the observed Investigator. The photo I have of Private Eye shows that it has a distinctive raised cabin hatch.

Sail number #104 is a boat called Allana. (I also have a listing #119 Allana in QLD.) #104 was in SA so this one may have been renamed Private Eye. I don't have a photo. The only other detail I have is that this boat has been fitted with an inboard diesel engine.

Did you, by chance, take a photo of the passing Investigator.
bd4875578622331119712.jpg
Hi Ray,
Mine we worked out to be sail number 109, and is now named Private Eyes. I think the one that you refer to here in Victoria, is sail number 108, not 109, going by previous messaging that we had late last year, just after I purchase mine.
Cheers David.
Sail number 109

Raya

Post by Raya »

Sorry, Yes, I meant 108. I've amended my post.

Because of the name Investigator, there tends to be a lot of boat names relating to investigators. The most common was Sherlock. There are a few of these.
Ray
Investigator #39

Private Eyes

Post by Private Eyes »

Raya wrote:Sorry, Yes, I meant 108. I've amended my post.

Because of the name Investigator, there tends to be a lot of boat names relating to investigators. The most common was Sherlock. There are a few of these.
Yes Ray. Its a fantastic design name for a yacht, with so many different names that you can come with. I had 6 different names to choose from before I settled on Private Eyes. And Private Eyes come from the Hall and Oates song of the same name back in the 80's. And then I chose a graphic of 2 Private Investigators, to supplement the name, on the boat.

Its amazing, since buying mine in Tasmania, another 2 have come on the market since. But I am really happy with my purchase. It will be winter now before mine hits the water. Not enough hours in the day, and days in the week for me to get it ready, with everything else I have to do at home, and also running a business.

Cheers David.
Sail number 109