Help on a replacement Gunwale

General Sailing Talk
Micheal&Gab

Help on a replacement Gunwale

Post by Micheal&Gab »

Need some help on a replacement product for the Gunwale on the boat. The current timber one is a tad damaged in places and really needs replacing. Any one got any ideas on a rubber/pvc molding that can be used to replace it? I have had a good look around and a molding the shape of the current wood one is not easy to find.
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Help on a replacement Gunwale

Post by Ozzie »

Folks
Consider going to alloy toerail if you can get some. Spritzig II had no gunwale when I bought her. The seller had tried to find a suitable rubber replacement but had been unsuccessful. I used a cheap plastic edge strip for my first year on the mooring but found a very small stress crack at the deck/hull joint near the chain plate, no doubt from the constant rocking motion on the mast. Made me realise that the hull is just glassed to the deck, not really the strongest way of doing it.

New toe rail is not cheap so I advertised in the "wanted" and got some great used rail for a steal ($60)
It was a pain the bend it on but its fastened with stainless screws and makes to boat feel so much stiffer and stronger not to mention safer crawling around on the deck, which is the whole idea.

See my pic attached to the mast raising thread on 11/6/09 and you can see it.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Micheal&Gab

Post by Micheal&Gab »

Thanks for that, very impressive replacement and I can see it was one hell of a job to fit it. I do agree on the issue on the joint needing support and that if I dont use a wood replacement I need somenthing that will prevent damage to the topdeck and hull joint. A straight rubber one will not do the job.

Do you know a good supplier for different moldings, I would not mind finding one that goes up or down the hull about 35mm so that I could install a rubber guard as well.
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Micheal & Gab

If I can attach the files these are product sheets from Guile Marine with various profiles of toe rail, not the one I had. Mine stepped in about 70 -100 mm and thats where the rail went up. Edge bit went down about 12mm, not quite enough to cover the bottom edge of the glass on the hull , so I added a white rubber molding I got from Biasedboating, to finish it off and create a rub strip. You can just see the bottom of the stainless nuts but it is only from low vantage point.

Most toerail profiles I have seen have the rail at the perimeter of the boat but the one I have turned out to be more practical I think as you have room to put a foot outside the rail if jumping off or boarding another boat or jetty. Works for me anyway.

Do try advertising in the Local Trader (Newcastle/Central Coast , it is !00% free) or Trading post, you may pick up some second hand rail and being alloy it does not really deteriorate.

Clarke rubber also have lots of profiles of rubber you could use for trim.

........Sorry pdf files wont attach. I will try to attach them tomorrow as a jpg in bits if I can.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Folks
Below is the link to the old forum archive on Multiply go to my posts and click on the Attachment line in small print...the blue Toerail.pdf tag and the rail.pdf on the other post

Not cheap at $450 a side new :shock:

http://inv563.multiply.com/journal/item/110/Toe_rail

if you go that way (or 2nd hand if you can) I can post pics and method I used for application if it helps.

Ian B
I see what you mean about finding archived stuff, the search engine on that site is total crepe :roll:
sheesh ...no order or reason whatsoever and no options I can see for re-ordering it ...date ,alphabetically etc
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Sorry boys, but at this stage only the Technical section of the board accepts pdf files.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
peter yates

Post by peter yates »

I have just fitted new spotted gum toe-rails which I obtained and had machined by a local furniture maker. They look great and weren't too hard to fit although we did wonder about whether we would hear a possible expensive crack as we did the last bit of bending. No noises and perfect fit. I did a mixture of countersunk and filled bolts from above and screws from underneath. Finally I siliconed the join with the deck and did numerous coats of oil.

Not a cheap option, but wood always looks good and has a bit of give and a bit of character too.

Peter
I563 number 004 - "Tricksy"
CAL14 - "Gypsy"
"Myf" the skiff
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Peter that does sound nice, do you have a pic?

I would like to have used timber but being moored I went for maintenance. I still varnish the drop boards and handrails but thats about where I lose interest. But it makes me think instead of a rubber trim on my alloy toerail I could have used a small timber rub strip for appearance. Maybe one day.

I was talking to a sailing mate yesterday and the other thing I wanted to mention was certain club racing requirements specify a height of toerail if you race. Not ever going to be an issue for me but Michael and Gab may want to consider it.

Cheers
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Micheal&Gab

Post by Micheal&Gab »

Peter, I agree timber sounds good and have been thinking about heading done the wood option as well, have not found a good profile yet. Noticed the original one on my boat is only maple, a tad soft I would have thought but cheap. How goes the hardwood rail?
peter yates

Post by peter yates »

Haven't run ino a jetty yet with my new spotted gum gunwhales, so can't report on their knock resistance but they look good and I imagine will give a lot of protection. They did cost me about $500 to buy the wood and get it machined to the right shape, so not cheap.

Haven't mastered photos yet but can give dimensions etc. if any use.

Peter
I563 number 004 - "Tricksy"
CAL14 - "Gypsy"
"Myf" the skiff